1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo-what name to put in email

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by maireadmairead, Feb 6, 2012.

1. maireadmairead

maireadmairead New commenter

Hi everyone,

I;m probably being really fernikity now but don't wanna make any mistakes.

If sending an email application do I use the head's name or say Dear Sir/Madam?

The email address is admin not the head's

Thanks,

Mairéad

2. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Have you completed a form or is it a CV and cover letter?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Read the Shortlisting clickables! Get the Head's name, spell it correctly,find out if it's Ms Mrs Mr or Dr . . .
    Good luck Mairead rhyming with Parade . . . .
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

4. maireadmairead

maireadmairead New commenter

I have the head's name on the letter of application but I'm just wondering if i should say dear 'head's name' in the email body too as the email goes to admin

thanks

5. I always put the head's name in the email too, even if it is an admin email address. :)

6. Yep, unless it specifies otherwise I would address the email to the head.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes.
    It is just for convenience that the admin staff are receiving it, just as they would open the envelope if it were snail mail.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com