1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: What is the etiquette for applying for several posts at one school?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lilybett, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Hello (sorry to have asked so many questions today),
    A local primary school has two posts starting in September, one permanent and one a maternity cover. The school caters for 3-11-yr-olds and neither advert says which class it is to teach (I don't mind).
    I want to apply for both. How do I go about this? Do I have to submit two applications? But they'll be pretty much identical, except for the Job Reference No.! Or can I submit one application and say in the covering letter that I would like to be considered for either?
    <address>I'm a bit worried because this school where I do supply had two vacancies. I just submitted one application and asked to be considered for both. I didn't get an interview! (But they obviously don't hate me because they keep asking me to come back and do supply for them..) </address><address></address><address>I have pressed something and can't get rid of these italics. Please ignore the emphasis!</address><address></address><address>Very grateful for your advice. xx</address>

2. Hello (sorry to have asked so many questions today),
    A local primary school has two posts starting in September, one permanent and one a maternity cover. The school caters for 3-11-yr-olds and neither advert says which class it is to teach (I don't mind).
    I want to apply for both. How do I go about this? Do I have to submit two applications? But they'll be pretty much identical, except for the Job Reference No.! Or can I submit one application and say in the covering letter that I would like to be considered for either?
    <address>I'm a bit worried because this school where I do supply had two vacancies. I just submitted one application and asked to be considered for both. I didn't get an interview! (But they obviously don't hate me because they keep asking me to come back and do supply for them..) </address><address></address><address>I have pressed something and can't get rid of these italics. Please ignore the emphasis!</address><address></address><address>Very grateful for your advice. xx</address>

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I would just do the one letter. At the top, put: Application for post ref 1234, teacher, and for post 5678, maternity cover teacher.
    Then write your letter and do your E.S. as normal (see the interview clickables inside the Welcome thread for advice here). Make the application refer to the permanent post - they will understand that this is your preference.
    Don't imagine that the failure to get an interview for the other 2 posts was because of doing only one letter - nothing to do with it.
    Best of luck!

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the
    Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters,
    executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people
    really appreciate.

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!