1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo.... What Experience necessary?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by richardpalarsen, Mar 15, 2016.

1. richardpalarsen

richardpalarsen New commenter

Heya,
    Im looking at moving to Europe (preferably Spain) from New Zealand.
    I am qualified and have two years teaching experience, is this too little?
    Ive applied to a couple and no reply, any hints for getting their attention?
    Any advice welcome.
    Cheers
    Richard

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

richardpalarsen likes this.
  3. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood Occasional commenter

Two years is the baseline for most schools, and they often say this in their adverts. More may be a good thing, but it all depends on the role - unless you're applying for leadership roles I wouldn't say this is the problem.

It's worth remembering how many applications international schools get for each job, and while a reply (even a no) would be nice, it just doesn't happen. My first applications for overseas posts were with a few more years and some leadership experience but my applications numbered in the teens before I got any replies.

TheoGriff has some great advice on how to make an application stand out, and how to secure an interview - I'm sure she'll be along shortly with lots of reading material. In the meantime, don't be put off - keep applying!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thank you @ejclibrarian , and hullo Richard.

There are on here some posters who can give you great advice on applying for posts abroad, including applying outside Europe.

But if its European Union that you are thinking of, the first question is: Do you have EU citizenship - perhaps as a British citizen - and therefore the right to live and work in the EU without a lot of complicated paperwork? If not, you will need to start getting in touch with a Spanish Embassy in NZ to work that one out.

The second point is that as you will be applying to schools that generally deliver a British or International curriculum, do you have experience either of GCSE/iGCSE/A-levels or the IB suite of qualifications? This would be preferred by many schools.

Third one - is that your real name? You may prefer to change your username if so.

And finally - from a currently infrequent but nonetheless much admires poster on this forum:

Working in a British School in Europe

Best wishes