1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dear Theo - what do you think of adverts like these???

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by leavinglondon, Apr 22, 2011.

1. I have been looking around at adverts to see schools' buying buttons, job descriptions etc for AHT jobs and have come across some interesting and shockingly worded ones. When looking at some in and around LONDON - I came across this advert (Please scroll down and look at the 3 attachments in order to apply for the job).

Somewhere along the line, it had said 'one must address all the points in the JD/Person Spec when filling out the application form. As far as I can see, there was no JD/Person Spec but information about the school's plans which is sooo general I think they might have just copied it from their SDP or something -I may be wrong.

http://www.eteach.com/Job.aspx?VacNo=381272&Page=1

I then checked out the council's website and found the same job here:

http://www.sloughschools.com/teachers/jobDisplay.asp?VacNo=381272

Here the advert only had the application form but not the other documents which were on the other site. Still no JD/Person Spec.Is this a genuine error or is it a result of not putting in much effort to make this advert right because it is only being advertised to cover the schools' back - the decision has already been made as to who will get the job (internal candidate).

It is interesting that blunders, if it is a blunder, like these can be made by schools but when prospective candidates are jobseeking, they might have their forms binned for one error or the other.
    How would one apply for this?

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I would e-mail the school and ask for what seems to be the missing paperwork. It could be all sorts of things, but I would be wary of reading too much into it yet. Even the best run establishments can forget to include a file in a website.
    On the other hand, if an internal candidate pops out of the woodwork 2/3 of the way through the day you'll know you've been royally stitched up.
    I would also be wary about making comments that might be tracked back to you should you go ahead and apply. The school leaders may not be very pleased with this public airing.
    Best wishes with your job applications,
    P