1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: What do they want?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by pissovski, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Dear Theo

I am currently applying for jobs after coming to the end of my maternity leave. 2 jobs have come up in favoured schools locally and I would love to secure one of these posts (probably along with many others!).

One of the jobs asks for a competed application form (which includes a section for "further details in support of your application which you feel are of interest or relevant, such as educational philosophy, personal interests and suitability for the position"), a letter of application and a CV. As a keen forumite (of the lurker variety) I would also like to include an Executive Summary, but I am not sure if this would be overkill in this case, as I already seem to be giving similar information 3 times over. Would I be best to include the ES in a prose fashion in the further details, with the added info they ask for (philosophy, interests etc), as this would cover suitability for the position?

I am rather nervous, as I have never secured a job via application and interview route (been on supply and became permanent) and I would really either of these positions. I know I can do them, but how do I convince the schools of this on paper?

Thanks in advance

2. My paragraphs have disappeared! Many apologies

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Some browserd do that!
    Not Theo, who will no doubt be along later with the real 'expert' advice, but if you look at Theo's advice, my understanding is that the ES is <u>not prose</u>, but bullet points set out in columns addressing the job specs. This will directly adress the job specs of <u>that particular</u> job, so unless giving an example elsewher in your application, it should be possible not to be duplicating yourself.

4. Lara mfl 05

Will be interesting to see what Theo advises, but if you've put the points in the job spec I would definitely add some detail to your in examples in your letter.
    I think you need to look at all the points you wish to address and then decide which ' flow' better where.
    Theo's advice is always to print out the ES at the end tagged on, though I think to actually write it first, so you know what to address inyour letter.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Executive summary is just that - a summary. A summary of what you have said elsewhere, so it will probably repeat., So it is ESSENTIAL that it is in table format, partly because that is easier to read, partly because it would look pretty daft to have a two-page letter plus a one-page prose summary of that letter!
    Is there not enough room to put the summary on the form, if you summarise the summary (!) ?
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

6. Thanks for your helpful advice :)

The form has the area for 'further details in support...', but then specifies educational philosophy/personal interests - which i don't think go in the ES. This is in addition to a request for a letter of application, so I am still a little confused, as you make the point not to do both.

Off to get going on the ES now!

Thanks again

7. Sorry - another question.

The person spec includes items like 'good record of attendance, punctuality and reliability' and 'wide variety of appropriate teaching methods'. Apart from virtually quoting these back to them, I can't think how to target them. Would that tack be OK?

8. Lara mfl 05

Theo will be better able to say but what about
    for "good record of attendance,, punctuality and reliability " state something about good attendance record xxx days off in past xxx years which will also show your reliability.

9. Thanks Lara :) I thought it would be that.

Do you think I would be ok just to say x days off in last school year? I had an unfortunate time 2010 with a broken wrist, and in the same term in 2009 with an operation, both resulting in 6 - 8 weeks off. Pre mat leave I had a 5 month supply placement with only 2 days off (close family bereavement).

10. Lara mfl 05

Again, you need to see what Theo (or Middlemarch if she pops along) says.
    On my LA forms they actually ask as a question- 'Number of days absence over past 3 years' but if your'e supplying the information yourself I don't personally know if it's better to just give 1 year. or be upfront giving 3 years but mention the reasons to alleviate any queries. A broken wrist or operation are just 'facts of life' and hardly an indicator of ' inadequate attendance or unreliability'.

11. Thanks again. You have been so helpful (and patient) :)

I was expecting that question, but there is only the Medical Fitness form. WIll see if Theo or MM say anything.

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, go for that.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars