1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by solarglitter, May 4, 2012.

1. Dear Theo (and anyone else who might have suggestions),

I have had several applications not make it through shortlisting in the last few weeks.

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I applied for a job recently that required a creative approach. I spent Thursday and Friday nights as well as all day Saturday and Sunday working on it. When I took it to the school everyone was impressed with it and I received very positive feedback about it as I dropped it off. Tonight tho...I haven't been shortlisted. I have emailed to see if they will give me feedback but won't be until at least Tuesday.

I am trying to relocate to a new area and every time I go to look around schools it's a 90 minute journey each way across the Dartford Crossing. It is costing a fortune and, due to not being allowed time off from my current teaching job to go and visit schools, I am driving this several times a week. I tried not visiting but got rejected instantly because I 'didn't visit' (their feedback).

Could the problem be that I am on the upper pay scale and applying for classroom teacher jobs instead of TLR posts?

In the past I have not had this trouble. I don't know if, as this is for a different LEA/county, they have a different way of doing things to what I am used to.

The rejection tonight was a major blow as it was a great school. I'm sure by tomorrow I will have dusted myself off and be back on the job hunt but could really do with any advice before starting all over again next week!

Thanks

2. Dear Theo (and anyone else who might have suggestions),

I have had several applications not make it through shortlisting in the last few weeks.

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I applied for a job recently that required a creative approach. I spent Thursday and Friday nights as well as all day Saturday and Sunday working on it. When I took it to the school everyone was impressed with it and I received very positive feedback about it as I dropped it off. Tonight tho...I haven't been shortlisted. I have emailed to see if they will give me feedback but won't be until at least Tuesday.

I am trying to relocate to a new area and every time I go to look around schools it's a 90 minute journey each way across the Dartford Crossing. It is costing a fortune and, due to not being allowed time off from my current teaching job to go and visit schools, I am driving this several times a week. I tried not visiting but got rejected instantly because I 'didn't visit' (their feedback).

Could the problem be that I am on the upper pay scale and applying for classroom teacher jobs instead of TLR posts?

In the past I have not had this trouble. I don't know if, as this is for a different LEA/county, they have a different way of doing things to what I am used to.

The rejection tonight was a major blow as it was a great school. I'm sure by tomorrow I will have dusted myself off and be back on the job hunt but could really do with any advice before starting all over again next week!

Thanks

3. YES.
    I've had similar experiences (MPS 6 rather than UPS though). I relocated to the area I wanted to be in and have done some supply work. Now that I have shown that I am serious about being in this area, and have worked in local schools, I'm getting much more interest.
    How long ago were you looking? The situation has become MUCH tougher over the past 18 months or so.

4. As someone who completed NQT last year, I have been watching this with interest as more and more people seem to be saying they can't get jobs because they are on the upper pay scale. Surely schools want to keep good practitioners in the classroom but I can also see why they want to keep costs down. I am at a school where there has been a very small turnover of staff for a long time, as a result the staff is very expensive. I also did my GTP at a school where everyone was on the Upper pay scale except for their NQT who had also done GTP there and I remember the head saying she wished some of her higher paid staff would develop and challenge themselves and move on to leadership positions as the school budget for salaries was massive.
    Surely there needs to be some balance to this somewhere? It doesn't seem right that good teachers can't get job because they don't want a leadership role?

5. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

I just think that if you are on the UPS, you should be careful what you apply for. If it 'expressly' mentioned 'NQTs' for example, I guess I would be reluctant to apply. I would look for clues like 'experienced' and 'well-qualified' in the advert.

6. Of course they do, but given the starck choice of 3 NQT/MPS 2 members of staff or 2 experienced UPS teachers it's no surprise who usually gets the job.... Teaching seems to be the only profession that as you become more experienced and better at your job the less employable you become.
    At one of the TES workshops it was spelt out to us very clearly and honestly.... to get a job when you are higher up the pay scale/post threshold you need to be looking at positions with responsibility attached.