1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, want to return to full time after 9 years

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by tabath, Jan 11, 2011.

1. tabath

tabath New commenter

I taught full time for 7 years teaching ks3 and 4 maths and ks3 ICT. Left so there would be one of us who was flexible enough to look after our 2 young kids, hence I became a house husband. During the 9 years I still did some teaching on supply among other jobs but all on a self employed or part time basis. The last 4 years with the supply drying up so did the amount I worked. As I was never in a position to work supply full time I was last to be called upon by the LEA agency till they stopped calling me at all last school year even though I did phone regularly to tell them I was available. Hence the last time I did supply was in june or july of 2009.

As my kids are now older I would like to return to teaching full time but have a few problems to ponder.

References - Who do I list as a reference after such a long time? I suppose I could ask the LEA agency for a basic reference but that position was over 18 months ago. I do have a reference given to me on headed paper by my old HOD so could send a copy of this?

Covering letter - any hints on what directions I should take with this having been out for so long?

I am considering doing a return to teaching course - is this a good idea and do all these courses give you 30 credits towards a PG Cert? On some of these there seems to be just classroom based training and others there is a school placement - I am worried about being able to obtain a placement, after all how many schools would give any classes to an unknown teacher for 2 weeks?

Thanks in advance for any answers or advice you can give

Regards

Terence Arnold

2. tabath

tabath New commenter

I taught full time for 7 years teaching ks3 and 4 maths and ks3 ICT. Left so there would be one of us who was flexible enough to look after our 2 young kids, hence I became a house husband. During the 9 years I still did some teaching on supply among other jobs but all on a self employed or part time basis. The last 4 years with the supply drying up so did the amount I worked. As I was never in a position to work supply full time I was last to be called upon by the LEA agency till they stopped calling me at all last school year even though I did phone regularly to tell them I was available. Hence the last time I did supply was in june or july of 2009.

As my kids are now older I would like to return to teaching full time but have a few problems to ponder.

References - Who do I list as a reference after such a long time? I suppose I could ask the LEA agency for a basic reference but that position was over 18 months ago. I do have a reference given to me on headed paper by my old HOD so could send a copy of this?

Covering letter - any hints on what directions I should take with this having been out for so long?

I am considering doing a return to teaching course - is this a good idea and do all these courses give you 30 credits towards a PG Cert? On some of these there seems to be just classroom based training and others there is a school placement - I am worried about being able to obtain a placement, after all how many schools would give any classes to an unknown teacher for 2 weeks?

Thanks in advance for any answers or advice you can give

Regards

Terence Arnold