1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - waiting!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lovely.lady, Mar 31, 2012.

1. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

My ideal job has come up - I've applied and had the face to face interview which went brilliantly - it even ended with the Principal saying you are an extremely strong candidate and I want the head of the lower school to have a chat with you about the openings. I had the chat via skype which again went well until...
    The reference from my current school mentioned a clash of personalities (in my defence I agree but only to the good of the school & children which is lacking as well as cut n paste, its at least 10 years old without reflection or evaluation, no afl or app or even differentiation despite being international). The head seemed to be satisfied with my answer but in your experience is this likely to go against me. Do heads want squeaky clean, keep your mouths shut, do as you are told teachers, even if there are huge gaping holes in the practice?
    Should I keep on applying eventhough I feel that my applications will lack effort because this is the job I really, really want?
    [​IMG]

2. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

When will you hear? Keep applying anyway but you will find out what they make of your reference. Tough one. Was it a clash of personanility with the Head? Did they bring it up at interview?

3. lovely.lady

No its was the KS2 Co-ordinator who teaches in the same year group as me but the Head supported her because they have both been at the school a very long time.
    They asked me to explain at the interview which I did and it appeared to have been accepted but you can never be sure.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's good!
    That's very good!
    Who can tell? You know that you just have to wait and see. The other reference presumably was fine? A tip for next time (hopefully there won't be a next time, you'll get this one): ask your other referee to specifically make a point of how co-operative you are, what a good team worker, etc,
    Depends on the Head! Most of them have the sense to choose someone who will be very good for the children.
    Yes, of course you should. It's not until you actually get there that you will discover if this - or another - is the school of your dreams!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

5. lovely.lady

Thanks, but no thanks! Another one bites the dust! In the region of 40 applications and only 2 interviews!What else can I do with a teaching qualification?