1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- visiting schools before application / what to ask on the phone

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by carlypallot, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Hi, I wanted some advice.

I am a PGCE SCITT student, and we have had it drummed into us that we should visit the school before we apply for any jobs. I understand this, but on the other hand, we are not allowed any time out of training / school placements (understandably!).

Anyway, my problem is that the job I am applying for is at home- hours away from where I am training. I cannot visit this week, and then it is Easter holidays.

Do I ask if anybody is around in the holidays? Obviously I don't want to appear arrogant, nor do I want to put anybody out. Or do I just phone and ask to chat with the head?

If so, what kind of things should I ask. I want to come across as 'swtiched on', but don't want to over-do it. Do I ask school-specific questions? Should I just introduce myself and explain that I would have liked to visit, but due to the distance that it won't be possible?

Many thanks

2. puffinjen

puffinjen New commenter

Hi! I'm in quite a similar position to you in that I'm applying for jobs quite far away and feel at a great disadvantage not being able to visit. It's an off chance but have you checked when the school you are applying to goes on their Easter break? Schools where I study break up on Friday but where I am applying, they break up a week later so I can go and visit schools during my first week of holiday. Might be worth checking just in case!
    Good luck!

3. Thanks for your reply! I checked their website and they break up the same time as me. Shame!

I wondered whether to ask if the school was open at all over the Easter break so I could look round, but not sure if that would be rude or if it would appear that I was just keen!

Nice to know there are other people out there in similar positions!

Good luck to you too!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd ring and ask about visiting in the holidays if you think it is worth seeing without any children there.

Don't worry about visiting or not. It gives you a slight advantage, but isn't vital. If you haven't visited just add a line in your letter that says you wanted to and why not.

If you want the job them apply for it and if you don't, then don't. There will be more important things to panic about than visiting!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't get me started on this!
    This is an appalling system. What about people who are on supply and cannot afford to give up a day's pay? Who have childcare issues? Whose Head won't lett hem off? Who cannot afford to travel to the other end of the country?
    As you see, I don't agree with this!
    Q1 You could try asking
    Q2 Why not?
    Q3 Questions that you cannot findt he answers to any other way - don't ask stuff that's on their website for example!
    Q4 Yes
    Q5 You certainly need to do this.
    If you do a search in this forum (tick the box) for Visit questions you'll get a number of helpful threads.
    P.S. - better to number your questions . . . easier to answer.
    Best wishes
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!