1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, visiting schools and getting back on the horse.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by 8910rebecca, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Hi Theo and all you other experts,
    I had my first ever interview yesterday for a post at a school that I absolutely loved.
    I wish I hadn't seen the school so soon and had been given a chance to do more practice interviews!

That said, I was pleased with my performance particularly in the interview. I had spent a day and a half researching the school and the surrounding area, using Middlemarch's mind maps and generally swotting up using the forum for help.

I was absolutely gutted to be told that 'if we'd had two jobs you'd definitely have had one of them, and that I was to reapply to the school next year because they loved my enthusiasm.'

I think there was an internal candidate because everyone seemed to know this candidate at lunchtime etc.

Anyway that doesn't matter.

I forgot to mention at the start, I live in Manchester and I'm applying in Cambridge, to be nearer to my boyfriend. I had to take time off Uni and travel v far for this interview and have to do so each time I come to look at schools etc. After one interview I already feel like 'getting back on the horse' is going to be a mammoth task. Do I need to visit every school I apply for?Or how can I explain my situation in my letter of application. I know the prime job window isnt even open yet
    but I desperately want to sort a job now so I can begin planning my dream move.

I know people have been trying for months to get jobs, and I really don't know how they do it. I have this horrible hollow feeling inside :(

Any advice is appreciated

Thank you

2. Hi Theo and all you other experts,
    I had my first ever interview yesterday for a post at a school that I absolutely loved.
    I wish I hadn't seen the school so soon and had been given a chance to do more practice interviews!

That said, I was pleased with my performance particularly in the interview. I had spent a day and a half researching the school and the surrounding area, using Middlemarch's mind maps and generally swotting up using the forum for help.

I was absolutely gutted to be told that 'if we'd had two jobs you'd definitely have had one of them, and that I was to reapply to the school next year because they loved my enthusiasm.'

I think there was an internal candidate because everyone seemed to know this candidate at lunchtime etc.

Anyway that doesn't matter.

I forgot to mention at the start, I live in Manchester and I'm applying in Cambridge, to be nearer to my boyfriend. I had to take time off Uni and travel v far for this interview and have to do so each time I come to look at schools etc. After one interview I already feel like 'getting back on the horse' is going to be a mammoth task. Do I need to visit every school I apply for?Or how can I explain my situation in my letter of application. I know the prime job window isnt even open yet
    but I desperately want to sort a job now so I can begin planning my dream move.

I know people have been trying for months to get jobs, and I really don't know how they do it. I have this horrible hollow feeling inside :(

Any advice is appreciated

Thank you