1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo .... using the same supporting statement ...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by irasor, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Dear Theo,

I am a 22 year old NQT in the North-West and at the beginning of Dec. I had posted to tell you about a job I had been interviewed for and had got
    to the top 3 of the candidates, with the successful candidate having more ‘life
    experience’ than me.

The school at the time told me there was likely to be a
    similar position coming up in the Spring and I should apply, this position has
    now been advertised.

The criteria in the person specification is EXACTLY the same
    as when I completed the first application, so my question is, will it be ok to
    use my original supporting statement and executive summary?

I feel that I don’t have anything I can update my statement
    with as I have been working as a supply teacher but have not been getting many
    days so I haven’t really had any new experiences related to supply that I hadn’t
    previously mentioned.
    Surely the application commitee will not remember my first application in detail, and should just (**hopefully**) recognise this applcation as a good one, if it was strong enough to get me an interview the first time around ...?

Sorry for rambling on a bit, its just the job situation is currently so dire in my area I want to make every applcation as good as it can possibly be.

Also, when applying to schools, do you recommend that
    prospective candidates visit the school?

Thank you in advance for your help, as always it is very
    much appreciated :)

2. Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Dear Theo,

I am a 22 year old NQT in the North-West and at the beginning of Dec. I had posted to tell you about a job I had been interviewed for and had got
    to the top 3 of the candidates, with the successful candidate having more ‘life
    experience’ than me.

The school at the time told me there was likely to be a
    similar position coming up in the Spring and I should apply, this position has
    now been advertised.

The criteria in the person specification is EXACTLY the same
    as when I completed the first application, so my question is, will it be ok to
    use my original supporting statement and executive summary?

I feel that I don’t have anything I can update my statement
    with as I have been working as a supply teacher but have not been getting many
    days so I haven’t really had any new experiences related to supply that I hadn’t
    previously mentioned.
    Surely the application commitee will not remember my first application in detail, and should just (**hopefully**) recognise this applcation as a good one, if it was strong enough to get me an interview the first time around ...?

Sorry for rambling on a bit, its just the job situation is currently so dire in my area I want to make every applcation as good as it can possibly be.

Also, when applying to schools, do you recommend that
    prospective candidates visit the school?

Thank you in advance for your help, as always it is very
    much appreciated :)

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thought you were going to ask if you could have a standard statement to shower on loads of schools, so I was getting ready to give you what for! But it's a much better situation.
    Actually, you<u> want</u> them to remember you.
    So you need to update the statement about having the chance to visit the school and meet staff and students when you applied for X post last term. This is to your advantage, and in fact it would look a bit weird if you didn't point out that you knew them and they knew you!
    So that's my advice.
    Dear Theo - School Visits
    Best of luck!
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!