1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- US teacher wanting to teach in the UK

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Jeniine, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,
    I am currently getting certified in the US to teach middle grades mathematics - grades 6-8 (students age 11-14). I believe that this is the equivalent to Key stage 3 in the UK. Do UK secondary schools hire teachers who are only qualified to teach key stage 3? Is it worth me applying for UK positions at this point? Thank you.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There is not much chance that a school would appoint someone for such a limited position, I'm afraid.
    There are other problems too:
    You need to have QTS (Google it) before you can be employed in a maintained school here.
    You need to be in the UK to apply for a job, as you will normally be required to teach an observed lesson as part of the appointment process, and people are unlikely to bring you from the States.
    You need to have the right to live and work in the UK according to the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996 as amended in 2008.
    Here are some more details for you:
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/563198/7355147.aspx#7355147
    I'm sorry to give such a negative picture, but that's how it is, I'm afraid.
    Best wishes