1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Unseen Presentation - Learning Mentor interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Jul 3, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done forgetting that interview. I think that Learning Mentor jobs are really interesting.
    Two things here.
    Draw up a quick list of important points about being a mentor, and skills you have that will enable you to deliver this. A sort of executive summary of the job, really. Have that in your head if not in your pocket!
    Then for the presentation, remember the rule:
    Tell'em what you're going to tell'em; tell'em it; tell'em what you've told'em.
    In other words a clear intro, a main part and then a rounding- up at the end.
    Go and read the interview clickables inside the Welcome thread for hints on preparation. And to keep you away from the tele this afternoon, here's an exercise.
    Twenty mins prep and then 10 mins saying it aloud:
    How would you raise the achievement of a 15 year-old boy who has poor attendance because he is the primary carer of his Mother who has MS.
    Off you go . . .
    Good luck!

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

2. Thanks for the advice Theo!

Unfortunately I didn't get the job, but my presentation was definitely the strongest element of the process. Dare I say it, I actually enjoyed it!!

Got some good feedback from the school though, so I shall be better prepared for future interviews (two on Monday!!)

Thanks again, Baggins x

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Glad to have been of help, and good luck for next time.
    (I like it when people thank posters - some people ask a question, people spend ages answering, and the original poster never ever comes back on to say "Thanks".
    Your mother-in-law won't be e-mailing you about poor manners!)
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

4. Hi Theo

I have an interview for a learning mentor post on Wednesday , which is something I never interviewed for before because I have always held a position as an OTT teacher. What questions would I be asked and more importantly I will be given a task on the day which involves working with a group of learners in class .... what should I expect? Any tips ???