1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - uni drop out & lack of experience

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sunshine223, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Hi Theo, I'm hoping that you could help me with a couple of questions that I have about filling in application forms.

The first issue is that I dropped out of my first university course after 18 months. The main reason being that I have dyslexia and had no idea at the time, so I struggled hugely with many aspects of uni life and got no support from the uni whatsoever. When I dropped out I got a full time job and eventually found out about the dyslexia and was assessed, Leading me to finally get a degree with some support.

Now, I'm never sure whether to leave out the original uni which would leave a gap in my education/ work history or include it but explain my reason for dropping out. What would you recommend?

I'm also in the process of filling in an application form which has three sections for employment history - one for current job, one for education based jobs and one for other jobs. I'm worried that I look massively inexperienced because apart from my current teaching job and my previous role as a TA, the only other jobs I've had have been part time shop jobs that I had while in college/uni. The section is quite large so I assume that they want me to fill in all these part time jobs? I suppose it looks good that I have always worked (apart from a short spell when I was at uni) but I worry that I look ridiculous listing a Cornish Pasty cafe, among other examples! So should I include all of them or maybe be a bit selective?

2. Hi Theo, I'm hoping that you could help me with a couple of questions that I have about filling in application forms.

The first issue is that I dropped out of my first university course after 18 months. The main reason being that I have dyslexia and had no idea at the time, so I struggled hugely with many aspects of uni life and got no support from the uni whatsoever. When I dropped out I got a full time job and eventually found out about the dyslexia and was assessed, Leading me to finally get a degree with some support.

Now, I'm never sure whether to leave out the original uni which would leave a gap in my education/ work history or include it but explain my reason for dropping out. What would you recommend?

I'm also in the process of filling in an application form which has three sections for employment history - one for current job, one for education based jobs and one for other jobs. I'm worried that I look massively inexperienced because apart from my current teaching job and my previous role as a TA, the only other jobs I've had have been part time shop jobs that I had while in college/uni. The section is quite large so I assume that they want me to fill in all these part time jobs? I suppose it looks good that I have always worked (apart from a short spell when I was at uni) but I worry that I look ridiculous listing a Cornish Pasty cafe, among other examples! So should I include all of them or maybe be a bit selective?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You must NEVER be selective and leave things out or fudge dates in an application. If you actually say something untrue and are found out, you could be summarily dismissed (that means without notice or pay) and also be prosecuted for false pretences - "gaining a pecuniary advantage by deceit" I believe the official term is. That happened to a teacher last year - got 18 months in prison.
    Talking of which, if there is a gap, as opposed to something criminally invented, they might think that you were in prison . . .
    No, part-time jobs at the same time as studying do not need to be filled in as individuals. Just put "2003-2010. A variety of part-time posts in retail and catering whilst studying full time". That covers Tesco and the Cornish Pasty career!
    What you need to do is see the dyslexia as a positive. Explain your late diagnosis, and how you are aware of potential problems for pupils and are a better teacher as a result. Sorted.
    I hope that you are reading all the advice?
    Summary here:
    Thinking of going for a new post. Should the app form be submitted in blocks?
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com