1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, typed vs hadnwritten

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by twinklekaz, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Hi, I posted about issues with formatting last night but with no success yet, is it better to handwrite the application form or continue to try and type it out but with the formatting looking all messy??
    Thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Exactly what's the problem with the 'formatting'? Have you tried posting in plain text, centring it etc.
    I've only ever done two applications this way, one at a FE college where I had no idea what it looked like printed out because the 'typing box was about 2"square and the other was in a Word format and I did find I had to 'walk the dog' quite a bit to get the lines as I wanted them.

3. it's a table for my qualifications, if I put my uni in the first box, then in the next box my degree, they don't line up, ie it looks like this:

Cardiff Metropolitan University 2012
    PGCE

This happens to all the tables in the document, previous jobs, etc.
    I've tried changing the line spacing but it's set to 1 anyway changing it to 1.5-2 makes it worse, I've tried all the centre, left alignment, and changing the margins, but nothing makes a difference! It is annoying me greatly as the closing date is Thursday and I want to get it done.
    Thanks for your help!

4. well that didn't show what the problem is, it did in my post but not when I posted it to the forum (IT is not liking me today!)
    Basically when I type Cardiff Met on one line, PGCE appears a line below it, and then the year appears back on the same line as Cardiff Met, I cannot get them to line up at all, it appears like they are double spaced but the settings say it is single spaced.
    Thanks again

5. Lara mfl 05

Not sure if I've understood the problem correctly, but on moving to the second column, have you tried what we used to refer to as 'walking the dog'? Basically pressing 'Space' / next line arrow button until you get to where you want?
    I do this, if the text boxes become too large and the and the next lot of sub-headings are then split over 2 pages. Leaves some large spaces but does make it look like a proper form.

6. Thanks for your help I've worked it out, I just cleared formatting and set the fonts back to their original and now it's all back to normal phew!

7. Lara mfl 05

Well done, Sorry, I presumed you'd tried 'clearing the formatting settings' as the first thing you'd tried!
    Glad you've worked it out and can now send in the form.
    Don't forget if you get an interview you can ask to be added to the 'Interviews Reminders' thread -don't have to be specific on the actual day if you so wish and that if you get a job you start a new thread Dear Theo I got the job to encourage other posters.
    Best of luck with it.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Glad you've sorted it out - with Lara's invaluable help!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.