1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: two terms fixed term contract

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by modgepodge, Nov 16, 2011.

1. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Received my job offer letter this morning :) However I'm just having a little panic about how long my job is actually for.
    It says "....I am very pleased to be able to offer you the two term fixed term full tim contract in Year 1 starting on 1 Jan 2012".
    Now to me, 2 terms means the spring and summer term, so I'd be employed until July, and I had assumed paid until the end of august. Now I'm having a panic that a term is what I call a half term, and the job is only until Easter. Any ideas? Not that it makes any difference as to whether I accept it (it's too late now anyway, and a job's a job!!) but I want to know before I accept in writing. Does anyone know if they have to pay the holiday at the end or not (either Easter or summer)?
    I'm thinking of replying saying something like "I accept etc, please can you confirm the end date of the contract". Is that ok?

2. catherine_ann

catherine_ann Occasional commenter

I too have a job starting in Jan and I am on a temporary contract until Aug. 2 terms is definitely spring and summer not till easter! Hope that puts your mind at rest. If in doubt about whether or not you will be paid over the summer, I would ring the school and check. It is important that you will know how your financial situation will work out.
    Good luck.

3. Beware the two term thing - they very often put a clause in saying that, should the postholder return early the you can be given notice - normally 4 weeks. What happens is that you get shafted as you only get paid until near the end of the summer term and so are not paid until 31 August. This is especially true of maternity cover contracts. However you are also free to look for other jobs and can also give 4 weeks notice. Don't stop looking and applying.

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Glad to hear I did the right thing Theo!
    Already a member of a union - optimistically joined back in June when the NUT called me to ask me to join (was a member as a student), kind of assumed I'd have a job in Sept I think. Nice to know I was covered whilst supplying too I suppose.
    Thanks again for all your helpful advice :)