1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, two interviews and in a dilemma!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by royalgala, Mar 21, 2012.

  1. Hi everyone, not sure what to do and need some advice. I've applied for two jobs - one was over a month ago and I had thought I wasn't successful, but they've asked me to come for interview this week, apparently they had delayed the whole process due to unforseen circumstances. In the meantime, my dream job had come up and I've been invited to interview there - a week after the first one! This dream job involves more responsibility and a higher salary too, so perhaps will be more competitive and not as likely I'd be appointed. In my heart of hearts it's the one I want. I am planning to go on the first interview and see what happens, and go from there. The bottom line is I want out of my current school and to have more responsibility, but I am so frustrated by the situation! Is there any advice people can share about what to do?

    Many thanks,
    Gala
     
  2. Hi everyone, not sure what to do and need some advice. I've applied for two jobs - one was over a month ago and I had thought I wasn't successful, but they've asked me to come for interview this week, apparently they had delayed the whole process due to unforseen circumstances. In the meantime, my dream job had come up and I've been invited to interview there - a week after the first one! This dream job involves more responsibility and a higher salary too, so perhaps will be more competitive and not as likely I'd be appointed. In my heart of hearts it's the one I want. I am planning to go on the first interview and see what happens, and go from there. The bottom line is I want out of my current school and to have more responsibility, but I am so frustrated by the situation! Is there any advice people can share about what to do?

    Many thanks,
    Gala
     
  3. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    Well done on getting those two interviews - great going!
    Two sets of advice.
    Firstly, for general interview tips, hints and ideas, go to the Welcome thread and open the two Interview clickables in there.
    Secondly, for advice regarding your dilemma . . .
    If you get offered Job A, and then decide to accept it, you must then withdraw from Job B. You cannot do what you would most wish to do: accept Job A, as an insurance offer like UCAS, and then go to Job B, get that, and then turn round and reject Job A after all.
    A school has gone to the expense and effort of advertising and interviewing. It offers job to candidate A. If A decides after a few days to turn it down, then they offer to B. But alack! alas!, candidate B in the meantime has accepted another job offer...
    This is what schools fear.
    Most schools will offer the job by phone that evening or the next day, and expect an immediate answer to allow them to rush an offer to B if A turns it down. Some schools offer on interview day in the flesh, and expect an immediate answer. I know of several schools who put a written offer letter in front of the candidate and get them to sign an acceptance there and then!
    The very most that you could hope for would be 24 hours to think it over, I'm afraid. And you should be aware that some schools actually ask you at interview if you would accept the job if it were offered you.
    If you DID break a verbal contract (turn down job A after accepting it . . .) not only will your name be Mud, but also School B would be justified in withdrawing their offer when they heard about it, as you fraudulently led them to believe that you were able to enter into a contract with them (i.e. accept their offer) when in fact you were contracted to School A . . .
    So left with no job at all . . .
    This is not the answer that you hoped for, i know! You have to decide:
    a) how desperate you are to move
    b) how likely you are to get Job B
    Over to you!
    Best wishes
    _______________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    The next seminar Win That Teaching Job is Saturday 24th March. www.tesweekendworkshop95.eventbrite.com
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
     
  4. I cant offer anything from a technical point of view but I will say what happened to me.

    I was working in a school (mat cover) when another maternity cover post came up. At the same time a job came up in a school that I love and would love to work at but I had to choose between the 2. I chose the job I really wanted (alas didnt get it) and was therefore unemployed in September. However, I did then get a post working abroad for a year which I am enjoying! I dont regret my choice to go for the job I really wanted as I couldn't have lived my life thinking what if??

    So really what I'm trying to say is do what you think is right for you NOW as regret is a terrible thing to live with.

    Good luck with your choice

    Em
     
  5. Thank you Theo and Em for your quick and helpful replies! It is a situation that I'm sure plenty of people find themselves in. Worst case scenario I could stick it out where I am and hope to be successful elsewhere, but Job A is a better school than my current one. It would be a gamble to potentially turn down Job A for the dream job Job B and then not get either. But - Job B phoned me less than 24 hours after the deadline and seemed very keen that I was able to attend interview and Job A has lost its appeal somewhat in comparison. I will see how I feel on interview and then make it from there.
    Let you know how it goes!
     
  6. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

  7. mmm...Milk

    mmm...Milk New commenter

    If you aren't heart and sole about the first one, then I doubt you will get it. I have been told repeatedly that an employer picks up on who really wants the job and who doesn't. You are going to be holding out for the one you really want, and this will probably show.
    I personally would go for the first one anyway, and use it as practise so you can really shine at the second one.


     
  8. A couple of things: if you're not desperate to move jobs (i.e. you haven't already handed in your notice at current one) then go for the dream job. Also, you might well find the competition stiffer at the first one if it's less responsibility (as you will be up against cheap NQTs) so the second one might be your better chance after all. Good luck.
     

Share This Page