1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo-turning down a job after already accepted it?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cindybaby, May 23, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I got offered a job today, which is very exciting as been waiting for a long time to get one! However I had two more planned interviews for this week and the job interview for tomorrow is my favourite or preferred job. The job i accepted isn't in the most suitable place/location for me as I don't drive!
    When I got the call today, I agreed to take the job as i believe that in the teaching you can't ask to have a think about it or waiting on other jobs as that seems unprofessional and also you don't look keen on the school. I really would like to go to the other job tomorrow and if i get offered the job, can I turn down the job from today? I am aware people say that you can get you name "blacklisted" in an area if you change your mind and go back on your word. I know I have not signed a contract yet although agreeing on the phone is a verbal contract. The job tomorrow is within a different county, however I don't want to see unprofessional in any way but it is only fair that you have a cooling off period when u accept a job, surely? Also,if I can decline the job later can I still go to the other interviews in hope or should i just cancel them and be lucky that i got this job!

2. Dear Theo,
    I got offered a job today, which is very exciting as been waiting for a long time to get one! However I had two more planned interviews for this week and the job interview for tomorrow is my favourite or preferred job. The job i accepted isn't in the most suitable place/location for me as I don't drive!
    When I got the call today, I agreed to take the job as i believe that in the teaching you can't ask to have a think about it or waiting on other jobs as that seems unprofessional and also you don't look keen on the school. I really would like to go to the other job tomorrow and if i get offered the job, can I turn down the job from today? I am aware people say that you can get you name "blacklisted" in an area if you change your mind and go back on your word. I know I have not signed a contract yet although agreeing on the phone is a verbal contract. The job tomorrow is within a different county, however I don't want to see unprofessional in any way but it is only fair that you have a cooling off period when u accept a job, surely? Also,if I can decline the job later can I still go to the other interviews in hope or should i just cancel them and be lucky that i got this job!

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

It would have been far better to ask them for some thinking time than to accept the job and then change your mind. Think about it from their point of view - as you've accepted the job, they've rung their other candidates and told them they've been unsuccessful. If you now pull out, they have to ring back their second choice and explain that actually they would like to offer him the job after all. How unprofessional is that going to look? It's also not particularly nice for the other candidate to be rejected and then taken on as clearly second best. If you don't want to "seem unprofessional in any way" then you won't decline this job now you've accepted it.

4. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

I am not sure what Theo will say but I think it is unethical to turn down the job now you have accepted. It's unfair on the other candidates, who will now have been told they have been unsuccessful, and on the school, who think they have employed the member of staff they need for September. I think if you weren't sure about the job because of distance or for whatever reason, you should perhaps have mentioned this during the interview, and maybe you could have said that you had other interviews etc. (you would look in demand!), but now that you have accepted, it seems wrong to go to another interview, where you could impact the chances of the people there, who won't have jobs yet, and unfair on the school who believe you are now their employee. I would think carefully before doing this.
    Also, just as future reference, someone I know was not sure about the school when they went for the interview day, but the school were so keen and convinced that they were the right candidate, that they appreciated their honesty and asked them to think about it, which they did for 24 hours. The head preferred to have the "right" answer in slow time rather than a hasty "yes" or "no" answer and then to regret it afterwards. I know that perhaps is not as useful for you now, post answer, but surely you must have liked the school enough to say yes?
    I hope that you can resolve this situation with as little damage as possible to everyone involved.

5. Thanks for your messages. I think I felt slightly pressured and wasn't aware that you were allowed to ask for thinking time, i thought this seemed like you weren't sure and schools wouldn't be impressed aswell as normally wanting to tell all the other candiates that day. I should have probably been made aware of this before i got the call but it is unclear of the politics of teaching job acceptance compared to other professions!
    I think i may have thought the grass is greener and the second job could be my dream job, however doesn't mean they would offer me the job anyway! You don't know completely what the job is like untill you start it.
    I don't want to seem ungrateful for the job offer opportunity as I know how desperate people are out there to get jobs and struggling to get one. (I was in this same position a year ago!)
    With much thought I think I have made the right choice and looking forward to my new challenge! I just hope this post helps other people in similar situations or think about what they might do if they prefer one job over another and how to tackle it......

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

This is just it; you <u>have</u> entered into a contract & the school could pursue you for breach of contract,
    As another poster has said, it would have been much more honest to ask for time to think about it. Also it would seem to me to be morally wrong to attend an interview tomorrow, or any later in the week, when you aren't available for the posts any more.

7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

The thing is that in most other professions, you would have 'thinking time'-teaching's the only one I know where everyone has to go and sit together, then wait around at their whim. One school once left me in a baking hot ofice that was practically a cupboard on the hottest day of the year, telling me they'd get me 'shortly' and didn't come back for 2 hours-I assume the other candidates were treated like this too. Then they offered me the job, but on a temporary contract-this wasn't mentioned in the advert. So schools can be unfair too!

8. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

This is true - but just because that school treated you badly (and that is terrible!), it's not to say that every school will. I didn't get the job at one school but they have bent over backwards to help me with others, recommending me to another school (for which I now have an interview). The market in teaching really closes to a lot of people on 31st May (if they have jobs they need to hand in notice for), which is why at this time of year, schools need quick responses. If they don't like the fact you've asked for time, then they'll tell you. Teaching is different to other jobs - but the perks are that jobs are generally much more secure - a friend of mine was doing a PA job and got sacked extremely illegally, was told to pack her things and leave that day - and she has been unable to do anything about it without it costing her lots of money, and has been unemployed for 6 months! So while it can be frustrating to decide on the day, if you really didn't like the school you'd surely know when you were there. I think the positives of the teaching application process outweigh the negatives - at least if you know quickly if you aren't successful, you can focus on the next application, rather than hanging on and on (although from what other posters have said on another thread, this does also seem to happen a little bit!) Who knows?! I do hope the OP will enjoy the new school!

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on getting that job, BUT you should NOT go to any more interviews having accepted a job.
    You have now entered into a contract with the school, and are not free to enter into a contract with another school, so you should NOT continue with other applications.
    How would you feel if the school had a cooling off period, and after offering you the job, continued interviewing and then rang you in a day or two to say that they had seen someone else that they liked better? Precisely!
    If you wish to attend other interviews, then you should ring the school up this morning and withdraw NOW. With an apology.
    If you don't, you could find yourself with no job at all, because if you accept the 2nd job and then withdraw from the first, and the 2nd job finds out that you did this, they could withdraw their offer since you deceived them into believing that you were free to enter into a contract with them.
    This won't stop the Heads talking to each other.
    Sorry to give you the answer that you didn't want.
    Good luck.
    P.S. Poor etiquette to give your own thread 5 stars . . .

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

10. Years ago, I applied for a mainscale teaching post at a seemingly lovely school, and there were 6 candidates for the interview. We were told when we got there that two posts were now available and I was offered one of them and was obviously very pleased and accepted.
    It later transpired that my post was temporary to cover somebody's maternity leave and so I left my school to work there and because the lady did come back to her position my contract wasn't renewed and I had to start the job hunt yet again. Awful times. And I wasn't paid for August!

11. cindybaby well done for making the right decision and being positive about it. I wish you lots of luck in your new job, and I really believe that you're lucky to have one in the present climate!

12. A good shout. A bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush or however the old phrase goes! Better to have a definite job than the mere possibility of one. Imagine pulling out of this job and then not getting the other interviews - you'd be so annoyed with yourself!

13. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh. our posts obviously crossed in cyberspace. Well done on doing the right thing.
    A certain job in these uncertain times is much to be envied.