1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - To move or not to move

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by charlieg81, Mar 12, 2016.

1. charlieg81

charlieg81 New commenter

I am currently in my fourth year of teaching, all of which has been in UKS2. The first 2 years I worked in the State sector, and for the last 2 I have been in an Independent Prep School.
    I am currently in a dilemma. There has been some restructuring in which a new head and 2 deputies of KS2 have been appointed, all of whom have been recruited internally (all of the candidates were members of the Prep Management Team before their appointment).

I have voiced my wish to move up the career ladder as I feel more than ready, and have been told that there may be a Science coordinator role to apply for shortly. I have also asked for a change of year group to allow me to gain experience. I already have quite a lot of frustrations with my place of work - lack of vision, poor behaviour standards, uninspiring leaders to name but a few.

I am wondering whether to bite the bullet for the next 12 months if I am appointed as the Science coordinator (it would be good experience and something to put on my CV), or whether to move now and start afresh. I have seen a job where the school is looking for aspiring middle leaders.
    I have no idea where to go.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Only you can answer this. a starting point would be to create a Pros and Cons page and list your thoughts. If you want promotion, it is more certain to apply for a promoted post elsewhere.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I will add to the very sound suggestion from @wanet that you probably need to make your mind up very fast, as you may need to hand in your resignation for the summer on or before the first day of term.

You need to check your contract for the exact wording.

Best wishes