1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - To Masters or not to Masters?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by catsmieow, Feb 19, 2011.

1. catsmieow

catsmieow New commenter

Hi Theo,

I have recently heard that new teachers have to do a Masters as part of the course. i have been teaching for 6 years and do not have a Masters, this is worrying me greatly. I am prepared to obtain a Masters via OU and pay for it myself as I am genuinely interested in Education but wonder if it is considered worth it by employers?

Do you get paid more for having a MA?
    is it worth investing 3 years and £3000+ in terms of staying employable compared to cheap NQT's?

thanks

2. catsmieow

catsmieow New commenter

Hi Theo,

I have recently heard that new teachers have to do a Masters as part of the course. i have been teaching for 6 years and do not have a Masters, this is worrying me greatly. I am prepared to obtain a Masters via OU and pay for it myself as I am genuinely interested in Education but wonder if it is considered worth it by employers?

Do you get paid more for having a MA?
    is it worth investing 3 years and £3000+ in terms of staying employable compared to cheap NQT's?

thanks

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I used to wonder about doing a Masters, but was worried it would make life even more difficult obtaining a post. (I'm a trying-to return-to-teaching-after-family supply.)
    But, guess what, a Masters doesn't affect one's pay at all. It <u>may</u> make you a more attractive candidate to employ however.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, to be honest (and speaking as someone who has a First Class Honours Degree, a Master's degree, a PhD, and other qualifications), I do not think that a Masters is going to be any help at all.
    Very little help in getting a job. No help at all in increasing your pay.
    So I guess that the answer is "No".
    (Unless you are very keen to do it for personal reasons - something to keep your brain turned over, or to conquer the boredom of those long school holidays . . .).
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

5. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

From my own personal experience I would agree with Theo. I've a Masters in Computer Science, and I've also got my name in quite a few maths journals as a solver of problems (which are reasonably challenging). However, none of this seems to matter when I apply for a job.

This sounds crazy, but I also wonder whether having an M.Sc. might lose you a job. Human nature being what it is, I'm certain there are a lot of HODs out there who wouldn't employ someone more qualified than themselves. When I was doing my teaching practice, on the first occasion she met me, the HOD had a look at my qualifications and informed me that she thought I was too academic.

However, pursuing a M.Sc. or Ph.D. should be for the love of one's subject. So, if you are interested, do it!

6. Yes, I have heard various reasons for not employing someone and too highly qualified being one of them! Stupid and I did say so. Just before they changed the conversation to wanting to employ someone of a certain sex... *shakes head remembering the story*

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Never believe feedback . . . not worth the air it's breathed on.
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!