1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, time off for visits/interviews

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by NZdreamer, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Dear Theo
    I have half a term work left at my current post, and am desperately trying to find something else before April. However my head is not being very helpful about me having any time to visit schools, and I am worrying this will look negative.
    I have arranged one visit in my PPA time, but according to my head I am only owed two more sessions of NQT time before I leave so I am going to have problems visiting any schools which are not close by.
    I wondered are there any guidelines about soon to be ex-staff being allowed a bit of leeway when looking for a new job and school visits, or should an informal telephone chat with potential future employers suffice?
    Thanks
    NZ

2. Dear Theo
    I have half a term work left at my current post, and am desperately trying to find something else before April. However my head is not being very helpful about me having any time to visit schools, and I am worrying this will look negative.
    I have arranged one visit in my PPA time, but according to my head I am only owed two more sessions of NQT time before I leave so I am going to have problems visiting any schools which are not close by.
    I wondered are there any guidelines about soon to be ex-staff being allowed a bit of leeway when looking for a new job and school visits, or should an informal telephone chat with potential future employers suffice?
    Thanks
    NZ

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

This can be a difficuly one. Also, some (state) schools like you to visit, to get an idea of what you're like ahead of time & others prefer not to arrange visits, if they have large numbers of applicants, as too many visits by large groups can disrupt the shool.
    A quick phone call to see if they'd prefer a visit, if not in the literature they send, you might help clarify matters.
    If your Head is not keen on giving you lots of time off, that's not unreasonable. After all you are employed to teach those children. So what about prioritising- schools you like the look of, having researched & those who are 'lesser' priority' & fit a visit into your PPA time?

4. That is my plan, to fit viists into PPA time. Got one coming up which I am really interested in. Sometimes I don't get my PPA time, but that's another story!
    I think I am just getting really anxious now about finding anything by Easter, and have no idea what to do as a plan B, although I am well aware there are loads of others in this situation too!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you are employed to teach, so although you have a right to reasonable absences for actual interviews, not so for visits. You are lucky that you have been allowed to have some visits.
    Your Head is just trying to do the best by the children and the school, and I'm afraid that your interests don't really come into the picture in those circumstances.
    Do follow Lara's sound advice here, and also read the other threads on visits. After you've read the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread, of course!
    Best of luck!
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com
    There is also another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of the above and for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!