1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, this might be daft but...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by minnieminx, Mar 12, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I was making my executive summary earlier this evening. Well beginning to. Fortunately their person spec is in table form so I'm planning on a bit of copying and pasting to start the summary. However the person spec runs to two pages AND is in tiny font already. There is little chance of me reducing it to one side of A4 without reducing the font to a ridiculous size. I've reduced the line spacing to 0.8 and the margins to 'narrow', but it is still just over a side.

Shall I:
    1) Delete the specifications such as 'GTC Registration', 'Enhanced CRB Disclosure' and 'good sense of humour'? (I will be an internal candidate, they know my humour is terrible already!)

2) Abbreviate things like 'Special Educational Needs' to SEN, even though they haven't?

3) Go over a page? (Actually I know this is wrong already, but I like 3 more than 2 and couldn't think what else to suggest.)

Thank you in advance. And as this, and another similar, will be my first applications for SMT roles I might be back to ask a zillion more questions over the next week or so.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I was making my executive summary earlier this evening. Well beginning to. Fortunately their person spec is in table form so I'm planning on a bit of copying and pasting to start the summary. However the person spec runs to two pages AND is in tiny font already. There is little chance of me reducing it to one side of A4 without reducing the font to a ridiculous size. I've reduced the line spacing to 0.8 and the margins to 'narrow', but it is still just over a side.

Shall I:
    1) Delete the specifications such as 'GTC Registration', 'Enhanced CRB Disclosure' and 'good sense of humour'? (I will be an internal candidate, they know my humour is terrible already!)

2) Abbreviate things like 'Special Educational Needs' to SEN, even though they haven't?

3) Go over a page? (Actually I know this is wrong already, but I like 3 more than 2 and couldn't think what else to suggest.)

Thank you in advance. And as this, and another similar, will be my first applications for SMT roles I might be back to ask a zillion more questions over the next week or so.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hmn.
    You really need to come to one of the seminars where we do practical exercises on writing exec summaries!
    1) Yes, prioritise and omit minor things or things irrelevant/less important
    2) Yes, in fact abbreviate the whole criterion down as much as possible, summarise it just keeping the key words or phrases
    3) No
    Best wishes
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes I know. And I had a feeling you would say so...

If there is another relevant one before I get the much wanted next post, and I can actually make it to the big smoke on the day I'll be there. (Still not convinced about asking school to pay though...)

But thank you for the advice. Will be able to get it to a page now.