1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo. Thinking about retraining as a Biology Teacher and would like some advice

Discussion in 'Independent' started by fes2, Sep 15, 2011.

1. I am thinking about retraining as a Biology Teacher. I have a 1st class Honours degree and a PhD. I currently work as a senior consultant in the private sector but have been thinking about the possibility of moving to teaching for a few years now. I would ideally like to teach in the independent sector and need some advice on the best way to go about gaining the right experience and qualifications to enable this to happen. I would also like to know what the job prospects for a Biology teacher in the independent sector are like. Also, if you are able to give me an insight into what teaching is like in the independent sector and what I should expect, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

2. I am thinking about retraining as a Biology Teacher. I have a 1st class Honours degree and a PhD. I currently work as a senior consultant in the private sector but have been thinking about the possibility of moving to teaching for a few years now. I would ideally like to teach in the independent sector and need some advice on the best way to go about gaining the right experience and qualifications to enable this to happen. I would also like to know what the job prospects for a Biology teacher in the independent sector are like. Also, if you are able to give me an insight into what teaching is like in the independent sector and what I should expect, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well...
    To be a teacher in the indy sector you don't need any qualifications, actually. There was an article about this a year or so ago in the TES - top private schools appointing people with high qualifications and no teaching training or experience.
    So you could just apply . . .
    However, most indies and all state schools require you to have QTS. You can read up about this on the TDA website.
    I have read your similar post on another Forum where also you say that you would prefer a part-time post.
    Biology teachers in general are not in short supply. Most schools are overwhelmed with applicants; it is most certainly not a shortage area.
    A part-time post is not easy to find, either. It is easier for a school to timetable full-timers than part-timers, especially if they have specific demands (not Monday or Friday please, or I want to drop off and pick up my children). So that makes an additional stumbling block to getting a job, frankly.
    Good gracious! That would taske a whole book, and still not be accurate! Each school is individual and thus different.
    You might get some insight into the indy sector in general from reading the clickables inside the Welcome thread.
    Best wishes
    (I've just found that article for you - there are some interesting comments after it, too)
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6035664
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!