1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, there's a job at my old placement school...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Georgia99, May 22, 2011.

1. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Have you contacted them to ask for a person spec? In every application I've asked if one was not provided and they've emailed something across to help me. If not look at the ofsted and school ethos and make links with examples to that in your application. Ensure you also give good examples of all the main teaching aspects they would look for such as afl, differentiation, bfl, numeracy and literacy etc etc. I have been shortlisted for every job bar one, so it must work!
    If you get to interview stage-I had an interview at my last placement school and fell down on one major aspect. This was that they said I knew the schools policies and ethos well and they felt like I was telling them what they wanted to hear in interview. They said I should have given solid examples of my experience to back up what I was saying. Also don't assume they will know your strengths, even if they do they can still only go on your interview so sell yourself in the same way that you would at any other interview.

2. Thanks for your adive Georgia :)
    I've covered all of those points, but I might just add something on phonics...and check I've given examples for everything!
    I'll try to remember your tips if I'm lucky enough to get an interview - thanks again!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some helpful comments given above.
    If they remember you, that will be a real positive, so fingers crossed there. Do try to do an exec summary; you could always (if they don't give you one) use the job spec from a similar post that you find here on the TES website. For the first column, instead of Your requirements, you'll put something like: An effective teacher
    Best of luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!