1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: The September job merry-go round begins again (Primary)

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Bobby_Carrot, Feb 26, 2011.

1. And here we are again... after securing a maternity cover and then a temporary post until the summer to get my NQT year finished, the primary posts are beginning to be advertised for September and off we go on that ride again.
    I am not looking forward to it at all. It was competitive enough last year. I suppose my strengths will be that I have completed my NQT year (fingers crossed if I get through it at the school I am at), so I am no longer an NQT but have a proven track record and references from a 'proper post' rather than from training (even though I was employed via GTP) but I am still cheap enough to be attractive to a school with an expensive wages bill (the reality for some schools where staff have not moved on).
    The difficulty I found last time was making the application stand out from others - one head said he thought the format I had used was pretentious but it managed to secure me interviews at the posts I got. The head who said what I did was pretentious also said he had 90 applications that were pretty much all telling him the same thing (well everyone is using the same job spec) and that is the difficult bit, making your application stand out from everyone else's.
    I have read all your advice and use the application/interview advice (the exectutive summary is always a great starting point) and also personalising the application to each school (something my last head teacher said to me, mention something personal you know about the school rather than making it sound generic) but a trainee at our school recently told me there were almost 200 people looking round a school for one vacancy - how on earth do you sell yourself against that many people?
    I think I am just dreading the whole cycle again as it was hard work last time and often I spent ages on application not to secure an interview at all. The positive side was, both jobs where I secured an interview, I secured the post - but the difficulty is getting those interviews to start with. It did gain another interview but it was after the one I accepted, so I think I am on the right lines and perhaps was not personalising enough when I first started out.
    Interestingly a post has come up at the school where the head has said I was prententious in the format I used, so I might go down the more conventional route for this school. I really got a good vibe when I looked around, but I guess sometimes you have to accept that the school isn't right for you.
    Ah well, wish me luck. Any advice greatfully received so I am not on the merry-go round for long. I certainly cannot afford to be unemplyed in September.

2. And here we are again... after securing a maternity cover and then a temporary post until the summer to get my NQT year finished, the primary posts are beginning to be advertised for September and off we go on that ride again.
    I am not looking forward to it at all. It was competitive enough last year. I suppose my strengths will be that I have completed my NQT year (fingers crossed if I get through it at the school I am at), so I am no longer an NQT but have a proven track record and references from a 'proper post' rather than from training (even though I was employed via GTP) but I am still cheap enough to be attractive to a school with an expensive wages bill (the reality for some schools where staff have not moved on).
    The difficulty I found last time was making the application stand out from others - one head said he thought the format I had used was pretentious but it managed to secure me interviews at the posts I got. The head who said what I did was pretentious also said he had 90 applications that were pretty much all telling him the same thing (well everyone is using the same job spec) and that is the difficult bit, making your application stand out from everyone else's.
    I have read all your advice and use the application/interview advice (the exectutive summary is always a great starting point) and also personalising the application to each school (something my last head teacher said to me, mention something personal you know about the school rather than making it sound generic) but a trainee at our school recently told me there were almost 200 people looking round a school for one vacancy - how on earth do you sell yourself against that many people?
    I think I am just dreading the whole cycle again as it was hard work last time and often I spent ages on application not to secure an interview at all. The positive side was, both jobs where I secured an interview, I secured the post - but the difficulty is getting those interviews to start with. It did gain another interview but it was after the one I accepted, so I think I am on the right lines and perhaps was not personalising enough when I first started out.
    Interestingly a post has come up at the school where the head has said I was prententious in the format I used, so I might go down the more conventional route for this school. I really got a good vibe when I looked around, but I guess sometimes you have to accept that the school isn't right for you.
    Ah well, wish me luck. Any advice greatfully received so I am not on the merry-go round for long. I certainly cannot afford to be unemplyed in September.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Of course we 'wish you luck'.
    At least you'll have (hopefully) NQT year out of the way & as you say are still fairly 'cheap', but presumably 'mature' to be attractive to future employers.
    Hang on to those positives & we'll look forward to the 'Dear Theo I got the post' & your sparly star!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes.
    Yes to everything!
    Yes, the job market was hard last year.
    Yes, it is even worse this year - there are half of the 2010 NQT cohort still trying to start induction, and a third of the 2009 cohort in the same position - and here come the 2011 lot!
    Yes, you have done pretty well to get a job to enable you to finish induction - well done!
    Yes, getting jobs from interviews is an excellent track record too - great going!
    Yes, you seem to have cracked both the Application and the Interview techniques - you're a star.
    Yes, give that school another go.
    Yes, tailor your application so that it fits in with what that Head wanted.
    Yes, we wish you the very best of luck!
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!