1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: the curriculum in an independent school

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by aspire_teach, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Hello Theo, and also anyone else who may be able to help. I put in an application for an independent school (primary) yesterday, after hearing that NQTs can do their induction year there. Today, I was reading through a couple of books on Amazon about the NQT year, and one has mentioned that if the independent school is a primary, then its curriculum must meet "National Curriculum requirements." If not, then I cannot serve induction in one. The school I applied for does not base its teaching on the National Curriculum at all, and has its own private plan. That said, the school did say it has supported NQTs on induction before, so I am a bit confused! Many thanks for your help.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck for your application!
    Go to the Independent Forum here on TES and read the Welcome thread. And also read this:
    Yes you can do your Induction Year in an Independent School
    It may well be that the school's curriculum goes over and above the NC, so that as it takes in the NC en route, so to speak, then it will be able to do induction.
    But the school will know and tell you if it cannot accept you, so don't worry.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

3. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

I would agree with TheoGriff that the OP needs to look into this matter more carefully.
    Most independent primary schools in the UK prepare their students for the Common Entrance (CE) examinations. Therefore they are known as "preparatory" or "prep" schools. The Common Entrance examinations have changed considerably in recent years, so that they are indeed pretty much in line with the National Curriculum. (If you wish to check this, you can order some past papers from the ISEB's website.) As TheoGriff has explained, the demands of the CE examinations go beyond the National Curriculum.
    It is some years ago now that I last taught in an English prep school, but I would say that doing your induction in a school of this type may be quite challenging. Sport and other extra-curricular activities can take up large chunks of a prep school teacher's day, while evening and weekend duties are quite normal in most schools that have a boarding element.