1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo : Thank you!

Discussion in 'Independent' started by SFnerd, May 23, 2011.

1. SFnerd

SFnerd New commenter

Dear Theo and everyone on the Independent school Forum,

I have been a very long time lurker, reading as many of your posts as possible, and this is what encouraged me to apply for a temporary job in a local independent school. I followed your advice on here, got shortlisted and eventually was offered the job :)

So thank you to all of you. I am really looking forward to starting in September: that will be a completely new experience for me.

SFnerd

2. Congratulations - that's great.
    Could you run through the questions they asked you at interview?
    Thanks

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You're a star, a twinkly star!
    [​IMG]
    Super, super, super!

Best of luck for September!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

4. SFnerd

SFnerd New commenter

Thanks Theo: it has been a long time since I last received a star :D

Thank you Signora! Some of the questions were very similar to the ones asked at state schools' interviews. I was asked questions on the type of classroom atmosphere I would like to create, about my techniques to involved weaker pupils with poor self esteem, etc.

I was also asked questions on my possible contributions to the school's extra-curricular activities. I had taken the time before the interview to look at the various clubs and societies on offer and I could therefore refer to them in the interview. I think they really liked the fact that I took the time to look at ways I could really be useful to the school. I am really not the sporty type and some teaching friends told me it would be hard to get into an independent school if I could not do sports. So I made sure to arrive with plenty of concrete ideas suitable to my skills and the needs of the school.

I was also very agreeably surprised at the very casual nature of the day. They really want to talk to you, which allows them to have a clearer picture of the type of individual you are. I was asked questions on my hobbies (for example, I had a surreal conversation with the Headmaster about Tintin!), etc. I have to admit, I had a great time!

5. SFnerd

SFnerd New commenter

Where is all my paragraphing gone?