1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - thank you and a dilemma

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by corblimeyguvnor, Nov 20, 2015.

1. corblimeyguvnor

corblimeyguvnor New commenter

Dear Theo,
    Firstly I want to thank you for your advice over the past two weeks. The executive summary has secured me two interviews for SMT positions!
    However, I would appreciate your honest advice about what to do now!
    I have been shortlisted for a Deputy Headship - not in my own school and an Assistant Headship in my current school.
    The interview out of school is prior to the internal interview (by one week). I will need to request time off to attend the interview next week at the other school, from my Headmaster. I had obviously told him in advance that I was applying elsewhere, but timing-wise this was prior to them announcing the internal post. I am concerned that by asking to attend the external interview (and when he is asked for a reference) he may feel that I am not fully committed to the internal post application and I worry this may go against me at interview - especially as the jobs are so different (will it appear as if I am indecisive about my future career?)
    Any advice would be appreciated - and thank you again.
    Corblimeyguvnor

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thank you for thanking me - I am a sucker for that! ;)

I hope everybody else is noting this! Executive summaries, when properly done, can make a difference!

In which case the problem is theirs, not yours, is my view. You didn't apply for the DHT after the AHT internal. You have made perfectly sensible decisions here. You don't really think that they would expect you to withdraw from an external application just because there's an internal post going?

If it does, then they are not acting sensibly. They should appoint the best candidate.

Just do your best in the first interview. And in the second if necessary.

Now for your weekend homework. I am including articles from the Professional Advice Hib that are not all relevant to you, for the benefit of other readers of this post.

Preparing for Interview I suggest that you read these in this order

Help, I've got an interview!*** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews*** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question?*** Read and note this ***

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

The tradition on here when you get a job is to start a brand-new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!

This allows people to congratulate you, and gives fresh enthusiasm and hope to other jobseekers. Make sure that you congratulate someone when you see a thread like this.

So to finish I'll say: I'm looking forward to your Dear Theo - I got that job!

Best wushes and good luck