1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Tesco (continued) - Considering giving up

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by modgepodge, Oct 31, 2011.

1. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I do hear what you're saying but you seem to think that both the lesson part and the interview part are not good ways of finding out if you like a teacher ( and to some extent i do agree with the points you've made as to why).....but how else is the school supposed to choose?
    I suppose they could ask for copies of observations or placement reports and look at references, rather than asking what I got in GCSE Geography and what professional bodies I'm a member of and what religion I am, and then just invite people in for an informal chat?
    Some schools I went to look around had a "planning" element at interview - ie you would be asked to plan a maths lesson around a specific objective during the interview. Anyone else had this? For me it would be a complete nightmare - I don't plan well under pressure so to speak. Quite often my best ideas come to me whilst driving home, sleeping (!) or from chatting to other people. Being asked to plan a lesson on the spot would make me want to cry and would not be a reflection of what I am actually capable of doing!

2. ellie_rose

ellie_rose New commenter

I understand that it is difficult for schools to choose but sometimes I think the interview is enough without a false lesson with an unknown class which probably won't show people at their best. I went into teaching after working in another industry and back then, the general rule was that if I gave a good interview and showed I had researched the company, I got the job. I felt that it was much fairer than the situation I am faced with when going to teaching interviews. I have gone through so many, usually being told I was good but came a close second and it is so depressing to be rejected again and again when I have sometimes spent days preparing my lesson and going over interview answers. It's like banging your head against a wall and I've never felt so demoralised. I see people on my PGCE who came close to failing placements, hardly ever turned up to uni and had little enthusiasm for teaching, seeing it as "something they can do with a 2:2 degree" - and they have somehow managed to get a job very early on. Perhaps if schools did look in detail at their placement reports, course attendance and observations, they might not be so quick to employ them. For example, one girl I knew on my PGCE hardly ever turned up, copied most of her essays/lesson ideas from her friends on the course and told us openly she was on drugs most weekends - I don't think she is the best role model to be teaching children, yet she got a job quickly and is now 'on report' as she is turning up to school hungover or coming down from drugs she took at the weekend and is not performing well in class. It upsets me as I took a year out before joining the PGCE to volunteer in schools and to make sure that teaching was for me - a lot of these people make decisions on a whim, give one good performance at the interview and they're employed long-term. I really love teaching and working with children and nobody will give me a chance.
    Getting a job in a school seems to be about who you know, as it is a strange coincidence that everyone on my course who had a family member in education were employed before the course even ended. I'm wondering if there is even a real job at the end of some of these interview days. I wish they would look into the backgrounds of people and look at observations from the successful lessons I taught during my PGCE, the consistently good comments I got from tutors and the relationship I built over time with a really challenging class rather than deciding from a half hour lesson with a class I don't know if I'm good or not. I know from my own experience and experience from friends that most other job interviews don't require you to jump through the hoops that teaching interviews do. I don't think they show what people are capable of doing.

3. Today I had my 13th interview. There was only 1 other candidate and I didnt even get to the interview in the afternoon! I was sent home at lunch after the lesson.
    I planned a great lesson. I fell apart in the lesson - when explaining things, I wasnt confident and I was really shaky.
    My teaching used to be fine and it was the actual interviews that were the problem. Now I think I have lost the ability to teach. In the last 3 interviews, I have taught bad lessons. If I ring a local school and ask if I can work there for free, will they let me??
    Got a 5 hr journey back home soon. :(
    Again, I dont know what to do now! Its 4 years since I graduated in computer science. I've forgotten most of it and certainly can't program. And I've lost the ability to teach well. Been really depressed recently and dont know what to do, does anyone have the answer?

4. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Hiya, in regard to your interview expenses, could you not claim these back?

In every interview I have been to I have been able to claim back travel expenses whether it be petrol, bus or train. Another candidate flew and stayed overnight in a hotel and claimed this back.

Not sure if this depends on the county but I have always been able to claim back in interviews in both Devon and Cornwall.

5. Ozzie777

Ozzie777 New commenter

Chris - you are getting the interviews - 13 is good. I am in the same field (IT) and haven't managed that many, so you are doing something right! The issue about your first placement shouldn't be concern if it didn't carry on to your second. First placements are all about finding our way in the classroom and school.

Have a look at the book "Awaken the Giant within" by Anthony Robbins ISBN 978-0743409384 (there is also an audio book version). This is founded on NLP and the principles have helped me over the years. One piece of wisdom that has stuck with me (which came from Anthony Robbins) was the analogy of the racing car driver. The driver must concentrate on where he wants to go - as soon as he concentrates on the large concrete wall beside him he is likely to hit it. One of the things that I have noticed is that if I am desperate for something to happen, my thinking will become clouded and I will start to make mistakes. Instead of being desperate just concentrate on what you have planned and prepared.

6. Agree with ozzie777. This is the root of your problem.
    My worst interview ever was was for a job I wanted so badly it hurt. The sheer desperation made me nervous, emotional, irrational, incompetent, defensive, agitated and unprofessional- including getting into a heated debate over an educational issue with one of the SMT!
    In my feedback they said 'I came across all wrong' and a whole list of things which amounted to 'get a personality transplant' as I was virtually unemployable. In fact my performance was so poor even I wouldn't have employed myself!
    After that disatrous interview I started to relax more and take each interview as if it doesn't really matter if I pass or fail. Result? I'm much calmer and more focussed! (and managed to get a maternity cover). Chris19842: RELAX! It's only a job.

7. Just a thought: I'm sure many of us have a spare room that we would be welcome to let people use for the night before/during/after an interview. I have. I don't want a lodger but I live in Leeds and it breaks my heart to think of anyone unemployed having to cough up for a hotel on top of train fare when they didn't even get the job. If you have an interview in the area and I can be of accommodatory assistance, please email me at enasharples28@hotmail.com.
    I love the way that schools emblazon their letterheads with "We celebrate diversity!" when actually it doesn't extend to recruitment. There's only one kind of personality you can exhibit at an interview that will get you anywhere.

8. This is right. If you are claiming JSA, tell them, the next time you sign or ring them up, to let them know of your interview and that you need help with the cost of travel. They should either give you a voucher to exchange for a train or pay your expenses for petrol etc.
    Good luck and I'm ruiting for you!

9. I claim JSA and when I asked about travel expenses for interviews, I was informed that you will only get these if it is out of your search zone (60 miles apparently) and they have quite a bit of notice about it.
    Can always ring up and ask just to be sure - Better safe than sorry.