1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Temporary Contracts

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by skeptucator, May 11, 2011.

1. skeptucator

skeptucator Occasional commenter

Hi Theo,
    I am still job hunting after several unsuccessful interviews and 27 applications. I have been offered an interview next week but the letter stated that there was an error in the job advert and it is in fact temporary and not permanent.
    After a temporary contract this year I really want to get somewhere I can settle and I also need to get a mortgage towards the end of this year so I am worried about the impact of the temporary contract.
    If I go to the interview and am offered the job, does the usual rule about having to accept on the day apply? Is it still the case that I will be 'blacklisted' if I accept the job then pull out if I find something permanent later?
    I feel like I've been messed around a bit having applied to what I believed was a permanent post but now I have the interview at a school I'd really like to work at I think I should go - especially now it is so late in the year.
    Thanks
    Laura

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Sorry to hear this - it is probably that the school is unsure of its financial situation and cannot commit to a permenent post any more.
    You could always try asking for a day to think before you accept. They may agree, they may not.
    As for the pulling out later . . . it is not professional, if the other school hears of it you could be at risk. Whether you wish to take that risk is up to you.
    Sorry I cannot give you the answer that you want.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!