1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, temp to perm??

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by not-quite-a-teacher, Mar 18, 2012.

1. not-quite-a-teacher

not-quite-a-teacher New commenter

Dear Theo and all,

I'm on a temporary contract at the moment, my HoD told me the other day that there may be a permanent position coming up for September, but I would have to be interviewed again as I was for the temporary as its for a permanent position even though it will be more or less the same position, but in a different class, is this right or are the school just keeping their options open? Also, if I do apply who should I ask for references as my ones from before will be dated, do I ask my head and HoD, but surely they will be the ones interviewing me?!

I would be thankful for any advice.............

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1 It may well be the policy of the Local Authority or the governing Body that they do this.
    Q2 I suggest thaty ou ask your hoD who s/he suggests! They will be the ones who will know what is most acceptable to the school. My own guess would be one internal and one external, but they may prefer 2 external. Best of luck!
    Best wishes

3. not-quite-a-teacher

Thank you, I will ask tomorrow.

4. catherine_ann

catherine_ann Occasional commenter

I have recently been in this situation, was reinterviewed and got the job, so don't worry about the school 'keeping their options open'. Its usually school or LEA policy that makes them interview any interested parties whether internal or external. In terms of references, the application form will ask for your current or most recent head teacher so you should put your current head and then an external referee - your last head? Hope this helps.

5. not-quite-a-teacher

Thanx, that is helpful! But the temp position was my first post that's why I'm slightly worried about the references thing!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter