1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo : teaching in Spain

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Odyssey4, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Odyssey4

Odyssey4 New commenter

Dear Theo,

I posted on the teaching overseas forum asking if anyone could tell me on which Spanish sites they advertise for MFL teachers to teach Spanish in international schools in Spain. I was disappointed to get a reply stating that you have to know someone to get a position, as there is a huge amount of Spanish teachers in Spain trying to get jobs in international schools.

I was hoping that a Spanish person who did their PGCE in a university in England, NQT year in England and is now a full time teacher of Spanish at A level, GCSE and KS3 in a grammar school in England might be someone that British International Schools would consider. Have I been chasing a false dream?

Please advise if you can.
    Many thanks.

2. Malaguena

Malaguena New commenter

I taught French and Spanish at an International school in southern Spain many moons ago, so yes it is possible. I'm not a native speaker but I must have impressed them with my knowledge somehow. In that same school, there has been NO turnover of Spanish language teachers since I left. The teachers in both the primary and secondary sections are the same ones as were originally appointed in 2004 and the single one that replaced me a few years later when I left. So yes, it will be hard.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hi there @Odyssey4 , y ¡bienvenida a nuestro foro!

Yes, all those people who can't pass their Oposiciones think that they could get a job either (a) teaching in UK or (b) teaching in a British School in Spain. So, yes, they get overwhelmed with speculative letters of application for jobs that don't even exist.

And it is indeed probable that for teaching Spanish First or Second language they are likely to be able very easily to get a local (i.e. known to someone) teacher.

However, don't despair - it's going to be easier than getting a teaching post via Oposiciones in most autonomías.

Where do they advertise if they don't have somebody on tap?

Actually, in TES. So first of all set these up

Get the TES Jobs App

How to set up a Job Alert

And then also on the NABSS site.

In addition, although I wouldn't recommend it for getting a job in the UK, you could try a speculative letter. Just make sure that it has in the very first paragraph the pertinent information about you, perhaps you could consider something like this:

Dear Mr/Ms/Dr (actual name of Headteacher)

Following X years of successful teaching of Spanish from KS3 to A-level in an English grammar school (I hold a PGCE from X University), I am now seeking a post in (name of school) where I can make a positive and long-term commitment to the academic and personal development of pupils who are being educated to take their place in an international society. As a Spanish national who has lived, studied and worked abroad, I can relate to this ethos.

Something along those lines, so that right from the start they don't throw it in the bin, thinking you are María Gómez Fernández (or whoever) from San Pablo de Buceite (or wherever) who - and this is the important bit - has never been further than the capital de provincia and has no understanding whatsoever of the English education system.

Because that is not you.

It won't be easy - that's why you don't often see adverts for these posts, but it is possible. If you have a second string and can offer something extra, that would be good.

Best wishes

4. Odyssey4

Odyssey4 New commenter

Thank you for your advice Theo, it is very much appreciated.

I will follow all your suggestions, I am determined not to give up. In the meantime I will continue to gain more experience in the career that I love.

Thank you