1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - teaching at interview question

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Weezy18, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Weezy18

Weezy18 New commenter

Hi
    I have an interview where I have to teach a lesson. All I know is that it is a year 1 class with a variety of abilities. Do you think it would be ok to ask the head if I can have a list of ability groupings as I will have no idea how many children are falling into each ability group? Or is it just expected that you go in 'blind' so to speak? I want to differentiate my lesson but am worried I won't know who is who. Do you see what I mean?
    Thank you.

2. You can ask - I know I have previously. On some occasions I have been given this info on others I have been told no and been quoted safeguarding???? and also 'we don't give that information to make it a level playing field for all the candidates' despite the fact the internal candidate had already been teaching that class??!!! And finally on the grounds of confidentiality - so clearly they don't trust their potential employees.
    Some schools give candidates n idea and others prefer not to. I just wish they wouldn't hide behind these resons when they say yes or no LOL

3. Weezy18

Weezy18 New commenter

Thank you.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, ring up and show that you are on the ball! Make sure that you have differentiation clearly shown on your lesson plan, and ensure that you give it to whoever is observing you.
    For good last-minute preparation, go to the interview clickables inside the Welcome thread.
    Well done for getting that interview. We look forward to the new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the
    Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters,
    executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people
    really appreciate.

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

5. Weezy18

Weezy18 New commenter

Thanks Theo - I used all the advice on here about how to write my personal statement. Very useful!