1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - teacher to primary head...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lovely.lady, Jun 14, 2011.

1. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

is it possible?
    I'm a very experienced primary teacher, teaching overseas. Currently I'm teaching at basic class level with no responsibilities but have preivously held Middle Leadership positions (maths, ICT, Science and Literacy Co-ord). I have been out of a MLT position for just 1 year. An international position for a primary head has grabbed my attention in Europe do you think I would stand a chance based on my total teaching experience and my previous MLT experience?
    I'm finding that my skills are not been used and feel the urge to return to a leadership position. the school I am wanting to apply to is part of a larger organisation of schools - whom I have worked for previously in Asia and the school in question is a relatively small one in the organisation. So from my perspective an ideal starting point for a new head. Do you agree?
    Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

At first when I saw this thread title, I though: Is s/he mad? Because, of course, in UK you need the NPQH.
    But for a job overseas you don't need that at all.
    You could do one of two things. Or possibly, consider doing both!
    Have a good look at the job, and draft an E.S. (See the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread if you're not sure). If you think that you could make a pretty convincing case for yourself, and have specific examples of when you have done what they are looking for, then it might well be worth taking time to put in an application.
    You could also consider approaching their Head Office - the big companies like Gems and Cognita etc have dedicated staff to deal with leadership appointments. Ask them what they think - be ready with all your achievements. It's also a way of getting to their notice.
    Best of luck! Looking forward to a new thread Dear Theo - I got that job!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Thanks for the advice! It might be a good idea to call the head office.