1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, Taking a pay cut to get a job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mike1chambers, May 23, 2011.

1. mike1chambers

mike1chambers New commenter

Hi,
    My wife is currently M6 and looking for work. Many schools just won't interview for their jobs due to cost. Can she offer to take a low rate say M3?
    Cheers
    Mike

2. mike1chambers

Hi,
    My wife is currently M6 and looking for work. Many schools just won't interview for their jobs due to cost. Can she offer to take a low rate say M3?
    Cheers
    Mike

3. Hi, I am a M2/M3 teacher, and I have heard (from various sources) that teachers like your wife, an experienced teacher and even those on the upper scale are willing to be employed at lower pay just to secure a job. The people that tell me are those currently employing for schools and also friends in schools.
    It makes the prospect of getting a teaching job much more competitive than when finances were more secure years ago. Now schools are adamant on saving as quickly as they can and by how much they can to ensure their school's future.

4. mike1chambers

So really in a nut shell....She can. It is hard, but in other walks of life they can offer the same for less pay.

5. I'm fairly sure you can't offer to go back down the pay scale actually. A teacher in 6th year of teaching has to be paid on m6. Salaries aren't negotiable in teaching. It never used to be an issue, but i sympathise that more expensive teachers seem to be losing out due to tight budgets.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Quick answer -in State school, no! (I tried it a few years back as I have the same problem & was told in no certain terms by 2 Heads & a union rep NO).
    However in an Independant school or an Academy, which is not tied to the National Pay Scales the answer is maybe. Having said that I've just failed to secure a second interview at an independant, despite being willing to make a serious drop in pay.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Lara is correct here - a maintained school in England and Wales is not allowed to pay you at a lower rate.
    Daft isn't it?
    You desperately want the job and are prepared to take it at M3. The school desperately wants to appoint you, but can only afford M3.
    They have to give the job to someone else instead.
    It is the Unions who insist on this.

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

WILLING to be so, yes absolutely. ABLE to be so, definitely not.

Once you are at a point on the pay scale, then you have to stay there or move upwards. You cannot go backwards.

9. Note I was careful in how I said what I did. Yes they are 'willing' but it is obviously only applicable to self-funded schools not in the state sector that these teachers can take a pay cut to secure a job. I agree with Theo (again!!) that there should be some movement here.
    Personally for me, after 6 years teaching I would be wanting UPS1 thankyou very much.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes of course.
    But if the choice was M4 or JSA . . . .
    Best of luck.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Or a choice between a salary cut or nothing- because I haven't got enough contributions to qualify for JSA?