1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo... Student teacher and cant get a job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Chris19842, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Hi Theo,
    I am currently on a secondary PGCE in ICT and the course finishes next week. It looks like I'm going to be a grade 2 teacher by the end.
    I have now applied for 20 jobs and I havent even had an interview! I have redone my letter a couple of times, I've tried to personalise it for every school I send it to. I have had it read by my mentor and the careers advisors at university who all say its a good letter.
    To make things worse, there was a research assignment I had to complete recently. I did the research in school as I was meant to, did a write-up which i was really happy with - and failed! I know of some other trainees who 'blagged' their research and passed. I only failed by 1.5% so I'm appealing it and will get the result of that on thursday. If not, I'll have to resit it in August.
    Feel stuck in a rut and am fed up now! I suppose what I want to ask is:
    - What more can I do with the job applications? By the way, at one point I was sending out executive summaries and still got nowhere.
    - If I dont get the PGCE and I only get QTS, will this make me look really bad to employers?

Chris

2. Hi Theo,
    I am currently on a secondary PGCE in ICT and the course finishes next week. It looks like I'm going to be a grade 2 teacher by the end.
    I have now applied for 20 jobs and I havent even had an interview! I have redone my letter a couple of times, I've tried to personalise it for every school I send it to. I have had it read by my mentor and the careers advisors at university who all say its a good letter.
    To make things worse, there was a research assignment I had to complete recently. I did the research in school as I was meant to, did a write-up which i was really happy with - and failed! I know of some other trainees who 'blagged' their research and passed. I only failed by 1.5% so I'm appealing it and will get the result of that on thursday. If not, I'll have to resit it in August.
    Feel stuck in a rut and am fed up now! I suppose what I want to ask is:
    - What more can I do with the job applications? By the way, at one point I was sending out executive summaries and still got nowhere.
    - If I dont get the PGCE and I only get QTS, will this make me look really bad to employers?

Chris

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear!
    Just a tad worrying that in hindsight you cannot see why it wasn't up to scratch - can you ask for help from your tutor to explain what was wrong here?
    NQTs are finding it harder than ever this year to get jobs, I'm afraid. So much so, that I have a Blue-Peter-I-Prepared-THis-Earlier reply that I'll give you now.
    you.
    Point 1 Are you getting notification of
    all possible jobs? Do several JobAlerts here on the TES Forum, for all
    your subjects, and then repeat them all for the independent schools.
    Point 2 Are you following the advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread?
    Lots
    of posters have found it gets them interviews - and jobs. Headteachers
    say that they appreciate candidates who do what I advise.
    Please take Theo's advice!
    taking Theo's Advice
    The benefit of an executive summary
    read theo's advice and do the executive summary people, it really does work, seriously!!!!
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    Point 3 Are
    you making the most of all the advantages that come from doing supply?
    Some applicants tend to be apologetic about supply; you should present
    it as a positive.
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    Point 4 Have
    you tried doing an interview practice with someone who will give you
    blunt feedback? You might, for example, being doing something quite
    simple, like screwing up your face in a glare when you are conisdering
    an answer, which can be very off-putting. And which a school is
    unlikely to tell you about.
    Point 5 And finally,
    if all has failed because you are already doing all this, then you
    should be thinking of getting on a train to come to the seminars on
    Sunday 26 June.
    (Not all of this is relevant to you, I know, but it might be to other posters)
    As for your question about getting QTS without passing the PGCE, I must admit that I am totally ignorant here - didn't even know that this was possible. But if it is, then of course this would be a disadvantage when the job market currently is flooded with qualified, and sometimes highly-experienced, candidates who cannot get a job.
    I don't think that this was the answer that you were hoping for, but we do need to face the facts.
    Hope that in the end it all comes out well for you.

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the
    Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters,
    executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people
    really appreciate.

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!