1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - struggling to find pastoral part time. Options?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ttxehs, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Dear Theo,

I'm a bit at confused about where to go with my career. I absolutely loved working with pupils, particularly those from more disadvantaged backgrounds. I got my PGCE in secondary maths and spent 2 years teaching in a school which went into special measures within 5 weeks of me starting there. It was the most stressful time, consistently working 60-80 hour weeks and making myself ill. Following this I spent a year working as an education worker for an charity, focussing on access to higher education, which I loved. I have since spent a year off on maternity leave and moved across the country, so I can't return to this job.

I'm now looking at going back to work part time and I'm struggling to find the right job. Ideally, I'd like to work in a pastoral role in a school, but these all seem to be full time. Alternatively, I'd like to work as a GCSE maths intervention teacher - but these all seem to be through agencies and KS2. I am happy to compromise, and have seen some possible alternate roles, either in youth work, career advice or in primary TA work, but I'm concerned that if I stray too far, I'll never be able to get back into schools, when I am ready to go full time again.

My question is, from a careers perspective - would it be better to:

be in employment, albeit tenuously linked to the long term goal, and jobs which I would be significantly over qualified for

try and find temporary work in schools through agencies

wait out for the "right" job - but this would leave an extended gap in my employment history. Is taking time out to raise children a negative to an employer?

try part time teaching - although I'm guessing this would mean a January start at the earliest?

Are any of these options seriously off putting for potential employers?

I know a lot of this relies on personal preference, but I'd appreciate any insight from an employer's point of view. Thanks for your help.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, here are my views, which may not be the same as other people's. they'll add theirs if necessary.

1. Applying for a job as a teacher is always better from the standpoint of being employed as a teacher. Unemployed is much less good.

2. Second best is being employed in a school in a semi-teaching or pastoral role

3. Part-time pastoral may well be tricky because they need someone full time. pastoral issues can't wait until it's your day to come in again . .

4. Temporary work via agencies may be tricky - schools often prefer not to use agencies .as it costs them so much in fees.

5. For Maths, pt teaching, (and supply teaching through agencies) would be easier to find than for many other subjects

6. TA posts are a lot worse paid than you may think

Should I become a TA?

Your best bet would be to find someone who would be willing to do a jobshare in Pastoral, and then you make a joint application for a ft post. But finding someone will be very hard . . .

Having a maths PGCE is a big advantage for you, so getting a job in maths teaching should be the easiest thing.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

The main reason for using none teachers in pastoral roles was that by doing this someone was available fulltime. I doubt that there are any partine jobs, unless, possibly a jobshare.

4. Thank you both for your insight - you've confirmed what I feared about the pastoral part time jobs. Time to start being a bit more realistic I think. The TA article has put things in perspective too, very useful - and very off putting! Thanks!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And as a mathematician you can understand it first go!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.