1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - still no luck in job hunt!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by deedeebudge, Jun 6, 2011.

1. I have now applied for about 25 jobs with not even one interview! I've changed letters to fit the school, used key phrases from their prospectus and job spec, showed how I've met everything on the spec, removed poor A level results from the app, showed poor A level results and commented on how this give me empathy with students etc.
    I've run out of ideas to make people want to interview me and I actually don't know what else to try! After leaving a £30k a year job to follow a dream and do something I love I now feel like I'm going to have to go back to it as I absolutely have to work!
    HELP PLEASE!!!!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Sorry to see that things are getting you down, Deedee.
    25 jobs is quite a lot, but not necessarily a record; times are hard for JobSeekers.
    Sounds like a daft question, and only a minor point, but . . .
    are you including an E.S. with each application?
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh deedeebudge. You do sound fed up!
    As Theo says 25 applications is not that many by the standards of many posters here.
    Presumably you are an NQT? In which case things may be slightly better now the last date for resignations has passed. Anyone having handed in their resignation last week, either late because they've had enough or because they got a job the week before, may have freed up a post & these will be advertised shortly & will only be available to NQTs or teachers currently unemployed.
    Do read all Theo's advice but it IS really hard in teaching at the moment too many teachers applying for too few posts- some schools have up to 200 applications. Make every application the very best you can & hope someone will see your potential.

4. Presumably you are an NQT?
    Yes I am, just completing course in next few weeks! Thanks for kind words you have made me feel a bit better I just can't believe I haven't even had one interview!!

5. I haven't used an executive summary yet, I shall try it with my next application. Is the idea that you show how you meet each point on the job spec? Do you think this would help me?
    I still think that it might be either that my A level grades aren't very good at all and my degree is OU - I was wondering whether some teachers don't value this? What do you think?

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I don't think it is either of these things unless you are applying to very good independent schools. State primary and secondary schools generally don't care either way, the vast majority don't even look at that part of the form.

Yes. Read the clickable thingy from the thread at the top of this forum. Lots of excellent advice there.

7. I was a career changer and have just secured a permanent position after 4 years of temporary contracts and supply. My A level results were not brilliant and my degree was from the OU. The best piece of advice I was given was that there is the perfect school for everyone - it's just that the position is not available yet!

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

A number of popsters have said that their luck changed when they started using the E.S.
    The benefit of an executive summary
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    taking Theo's Advice
    Best of luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

9. So would I do an Executive Summary and a covering letter or would the Executive Summary replace the covering letter?
    Thanks

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Aaargh!
    *beats his head against wall *
    Read the clickables . . . . please!
    You should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement
    • an Executive summary
    Sorry to go Aaargh! but you're the millionth person to ask instead of reading the advice first . . .