1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo Standing out from the crowd

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by head_in_a_book, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Helllo!

I've been trying to get a permanent job for over two years now and am really willing to do whatever it takes to make my applications and interviews stand out from the crowd. I was hoping you might have some insight into whether I'm missing anything, or if there's anything else I could be doing.

At the moment I have:
    * a "scorching" reference from the school I did a maternity cover at last year, (I'm back doing a second one this year at the same school), the HOD has asked the head if I can stay on a permanent contract, but there isn't the funds,
    * all my Yr11 intervention class passed against the odds last year, (I taught these in addition to a full timetable),
    * I started two extra curricular film clubs
    * I had and have a form class
    * I've joined a working party to improve the school's VLE
    * I do one-to-one private tuition
    * I'm the only one in the department to start teaching a functional skills qualification at the request of the HOD
    * I write a blog on pedagogy and my personal professional reading and research

My colleagues see me as really hard-working and capable and although I'm not the best at interviews, as my confidence is rapidly going downhill, I've read books on interviewing techniques and writing CVs and am improving a lot. Somehow, I often still don't make it to the top of the pile for interviews, and when I do, the competition seems so strong and I'm not getting anywhere.

I can't afford to keep doing long term supply, I'm in mountains of debt and desperate for help!!

Thanks

Laura

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Poor you, head in a book! (Suggest you don't post your real name in case someone can identify you)
    Yes, it's really tough for anyone trying to get into teaching at present. you're probably not doing anything wrong or something easily fixed. You may have a cracking reference, but you've got to ensure you reach the stage where they ask for it. Have you read Theo's very useful advice at the top of this forum?
    How to get shortlisted
    How not to get shortlisted
    Applications that annoy the appointments committee
    Jobseeking FAQs.
    You sound a really good candidate and one many schools would want, and yes it is easy to let your confidence go downhill when out of the school environment, so keep believing in yourself.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What you tell us above certainly makes you stand out for me - so why isn't it coming over in an application?
    Do you mean an actual reference that is supplied directly to the school on request by your referee, or a testimonial that you include with your application? If the latter, stop sending it. The official advice to schools is to discount these as they could be fakes, and only accept the references received through the proper channels.
    Nowadays CVs are not asked for by state schools, although they might be by some independent schools.
    This suggests that you are getting some interviews, so you should feel good about that in these difficult times.
    As Lara has said, I have written a load of advice threads on here, and the first thing is to read them. You can also read this thread which sets out some ideas for job seeking:
    Dear Theo ''application form horror!!''
    You sound to me like a very strong candidate, so try my tips to see if they show you at your best.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars