1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, Spanish teacher or RE teacher?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Adolfo, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    Being a Spanish native and also holding a BA Honours graduate in Philosophy, in which teaching subject do you think I might be more succesful in finding a teaching post, in MFL or Religious Education?
    Do you feel my long experience as a journalist writer in a newspaper would be taken in consideration for a teaching post?
    I hold QTS.
    Thank you very much in advance for your opinion. It is my first request but I follow you and the rest of Tes Connect and I can assure it is one the best sites I have ever seen.
    Best wishes,
    Adolfo

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Lo primero que te voy a decir es que cambies tu avatar, porque por lo que se ve es una foto tuya. El anonimato es muy importante aqui.
    Second thing - do you have any experience of teaching the UK National Curriculum? Or in an English-language medium school? And of teaching Spanish to English-speaking chikdren? Exoerience of teaching RE? If not, read this thread: Suit and Tie? The first few posts aren't relevant, it takes a page or so for us to realise what the real issue is.
    Assuming that you do have the above experience, there is currently a slight shortage of RE teachers, BUT the failure to include it in tge Ebac means that some schools are cutting down on lessons in RE in favour of MFL which is in it. And to be blunt, a non-native speaker would be perfectly acceptable in MFL, but possibly slightly less so in another Humanities subject - although your written English is good.
    Certainly Spanish is on the up, although typically it is a subject where you get large numbers of applicants, many of whom are not suitable due to lack of experience or training.
    Whichever you decide to apply for, do include in your application the fact that you are flexible in the subjects on offer.
    I would suggest that you go to the Independent Forum, open the welcome thread there and read the background information. You may find that an indy school would be more likely to employ you for MFL with little UK teaching experience (although not for RE), and there you could in your application talk about running a journalism club. It won't be of interesr in any other way.
    Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me in on Saturday 2 April.
    www.tesweekendworkshop19.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. Thank you very much Lara.

4. Although you say you never come back to the threads, thank you very very much for you advise and guidance, Theo.Your work is magnificent in this phorum.
    Your español is excellent also.
    Regarding the photo of my avatar, I have already changed it but without understanding what was the problem with it. I have only followed your suggestion.I thought It would be more frantic to show myself. :)
    Best Regards,
    Adolfo

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Te felicito para eschuchar del conejo de Theo sobre tu avatar. (Only started Spanish a couple of years ago)

6. Lara mfl 05

El problemo con tu avatar es que el animoto es muy importanante en un foro publico. (Aplogies again for Spanish, Only been learning it for a couple of years.)

7. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

This made me laugh! I mean that in a good way.
    [​IMG]
    Conejo means rabbit and I think you mean concejo which means advice!
    I would go for Spanish.

8. Lara mfl 05

Oh wonderful! What a classic mistake! That'll teach me not to check in a dictionary. You're correct I'd meant concejo.Not currently teaching any Spanish on supply, so thought I'd try my hand, but I obviously need to get up to speed again.
    Still those who can understanf will get a good laugh out of it1 And I did 'show willing'.

9. Lara mfl 05

Sort of wish I hadn't attempted now, such stupid mistake (incl. some typos) now I read them back.

10. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

That's what I thought and checked using a dictionary!
    [​IMG]
    Concejo means council and consejo advice, thanks Theo!
    Glad you can see the funny side of it Lara.
    [​IMG]