1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - spanish engineer with QTS seeking a maths teaching position in UK

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by susitorubio, Jul 22, 2013.

1. 576

I can afford it for a year. I have my savings.

2. So you're going to use up all your savings on what is essentially a whim? Good luck with that.

Personally I'd use my hard earned money more wisely.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Still convinced it's a troll. Our friend CircusKevin popped up far too quickly and our OP astonishingly has circus skills!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thanks Lara for weighing in there! Our amigo sevillano suddenly, after several pages, finds it necessary to point out what he considers one error in I don't know how many lines of Spanish written by me - how many errors were in his English?

MM - our amigo Kevin has extraordinary language skills if he is our amigo sevillano, whose English errors are typical of a Hispanic speaker and hard for those not involved in teaching English to Spaniards to imitate.

This time it most certainly is Over And Out.

The combined view of the Headteachers, Deputy Headteachers, Heads of Department (i.e. all those involved in actually appointing staff to schools) who have replied to him here, as well as the view of other experienced posters, is that it would be a complete waste of time for Susitorubio to apply for teaching posts in the UK as nobody would consider him.

<h1>Over And Out!</h1>

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations

5. Middlemarch

Of course, you're right - but I still think there's more to this thread than meets the eye. Call me harsh but fair...

6. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

If the OP is a troll, then well played.

If not - get a grip. Come over here for a year, and you will quickly find yourself broke, and unemployed. You've been told this frequently, and yet you are persisting. Oh, and because you don't like what you're being told, you're resorting to being rude to people who have a tremendous amount of experience and advice.

I've seen plenty of overseas teachers who come over here, thinking its the land of milk and honey, only to end up going home after 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, because the supply market is over saturated and they cannot afford the cost of living.

You've been told. Yes, by all means spend your money in coming over here. But everyone on this forum has told you that you are talking utter rubbish, and coming over as delusional.

7. so are saying that there is no choice to get into teaching for a foreigner?because you only care about uk experience.why your class, your lessons are so special?

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there Peter.

No, there are many foreign teachers in the UK, and we are delighted to have them working with us.

BUT:

1) They must have high levels of fluency in English, for effective communication with pupils, colleagues and parents. Your post above has several errors in it. I have read your other posts too, and you still need to brush up a considerable amount. Your English is poor for classroom use.

2) They must be trained as teachers, and hold QTS for state maintained schools. I understand that you have no training.

3) They must prove, in the competitive situation of a written application, followed by a competitive observed lesson, then a competitive interview, that they are better than the other candidates applying for the same job.

So to become a teacher here in a state maintained school, you need first to improve your English skills, written and oral, then be accepted on a PGCE course, complete that successfully, including teaching practice in schools to gain experience. You will then be able to apply for teaching posts in open competition with other candidates.

There are some schools - independents, academies and frees - which are not legally obliged to require QTS from their teachers. Most of them do nonetheless require this. And you would still be in competition with other teachers.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations

9. Middlemarch

As a headteacher, when I was recruiting teachers I would consider appropriately qualified, foreign nationals equally with UK nationals - as long as their written and spoken English was fluent.

I have to tell you that your written English is not very good.

10. Thank you for your reply.Yes, my english is poor, but my post wasn't about me.I have few words for that if you don't mind.

I don't understand, that " I understand that you have no training.".I have teaching qualificiation but I do not have experience.

The situation a little bit tricky for me,because I have to do PGCE course however I have an Msc degree and QTS?

thank you

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, Peter, neither of us understands!

I said that i understand that you have no training, because in another post this is what you said:

You mention a mathematics qualification, but do not mention teacher training and a recognised EU teaching accreditation.

And although you say above:

It would seem that you ARE asking about yourself.

And there seem to be contradictions:

You have QTS?

So why do you ask:

Middlemarch and I have both made the point: improve your English, then investigate either getting your Hungarian teaching qualification validated and accredited here, to gain QTS, or get a place on a PGCE course to gain QTS that way.

Best wishes

12. Middlemarch

What Theo was saying (and I agree with her) is that for a foreigner to get a job before a UK national they must have experience of working in the UK - because what heads want is a teacher who understands and knows the English, Welsh, Northern Irish or Scottish system perfectly. Heads cannot afford to appoint someone who does not have such experience and knowledge, because teaching in our schools is so very difficult.

AND their command of English - both spoken and in writing - must be fluent.

13. It's not a contradiction:I did not have a QTS when I asked but I have now.As a matter of fact the situation is-how shall I put it-interesting,because your authorized organization automatically accept my degree without any proof of my language skills (because of the membership of EA).

But it's not important.You and Middlemarch say that a foreigner must have UK teaching experience.That's natural.,you don't need incompetent teachers.But how could a foreigner gain UK experience without teaching??

You said to susitorubio:Stay,do not try it!

And a question for you gentlemen:How could a geographic or an english teacher teach maths or physics?English has got nothing to do with maths and mathematical thinking.

thank you

14. Middlemarch

Which "gentlemen" are you referring to? You do realise that Theo and I are ladies?

In the UK, they must teach in English. In the UK, English has everything to do with maths and mathematical thinking, because if you cannot make such concepts clear and understandable, you cannot work as a teacher.

Indeed - that is a requirement of our EA membership. They are not, however, responsible for appointing teachers to schools - headteachers are. And when they interview candidates for teaching posts, they will (a) expect an application written in excellent English, (b) expect the candidate to be able to answer questions in excellent English and (c) watch each candidate teach a lesson, which must be in excellent English.

Perhaps they appoint teachers in different ways in your home country - I know that in some countries, teachers are not actually interviewed. In the UK, they are.

Theo and I are giving honest answers, from our point of view as very experienced headteachers of schools in the UK.

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo again Peter.

As Middlemarch says - another lady Headteacher, since I am not a gentleman either - the European laws oblige the UK to recognise your qualification. But the laws do not oblige a school to give you - or anyone else - a job unless you can prove that you are the best applicant for the job, beating many other applicants in the selection procedure.

To be successful in a selection procedure, applicants:

1) must have high levels of fluency in English, for effective communication with pupils, colleagues and parents. Your posts above all have numerous errors in them. I have read your other posts too, and you still need to brush up a considerable amount. Your English is poor for classroom use. No Headteacher would consider you appointable until your English has improved a great deal.

2) must prove, in the competitive situation of a written application, followed by a competitive observed lesson, then a competitive interview, that they are better than the other candidates applying for the same job.

So to become a teacher here in any school, you need first to improve your English skills, written and oral, and then ensure that your teaching skills are of a high level, and finally be able to answer competently the interview questions on the theory and practice of teaching the English National Curriculum.

That way you might be better than all the other applicants.

Best wishes

16. I am sorry but I was convinced that you are men.So Ladies, thank you for your replies.

Several question of mine are unanswered, but I think it's enough for me.

I wish perseverance and clear vision for your work

17. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And patience, Peter, and patience!

Best wishes with your applications

18. Middlemarch

Our avatars didn't give you a clue that we're women, then?

19. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(This is a joke, Peter, for people who have been on the forums for a long, long time. Other people won't understand it).

But this might have given you a clue:

Her. Feminine pronoun. For a female.

[​IMG]

I do hope that you didn't decide we were male just because we are highly qualified and in positions of power and authority.

[​IMG]

Best wishes