1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - spanish engineer with QTS seeking a maths teaching position in UK

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by susitorubio, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Dear CWadd,

thanks a lot again for your answer.

Talking about my enemies was of course a joke. It's my sense of humour. Sorry if those my words hurt you.

Best regards

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

They didn't hurt me. They annoyed me. But not half as much as your blatant refusal to accept the truth of what is being said to you, by experienced Headteachers who know the UK system inside and out. You're coming over as naive and arrogant. And its absolutely baffling that despite being told bluntly you haven't a chance, you still refuse to ignore that. Do as Theo suggests - focus on your engineering career, and perhaps move abroad with that.

But if you really won't take what is being said seriously, and seem to think we're all lying to you - then, yes, by all means, move to the UK, find out how hard it is to get supply work, and living on virtually nothing. You seem to have ideals, dream away. But you will not get a job teaching here. When is the penny going to actually drop for you?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Muchas gracias for that. I mistakenly thought I should use the infinitive for the imperative case (a was just a typo) and I haven't looked at Spanish in a while. Hence why I was pleased to be able to understand most of what Theo said without looking at a dictionary. Seems I need to revise my Spanish somewhat.

4. Dear Lara mfl 05,

For the second person of the plural, using imperative, its colloquially accepted to say "prestar" instead of "prestad", but it doesnt happen with the second person of the singular as this case is.

For example, if you are in your classroom, and you are talking to all your pupils, you could say "Prestar atención por favor", or "Prestad atención por favor" (this last one more accurate). But if you are talking to only one of them, you should say "Presta atención por favor".

Best regards.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There are 18 - eighteen - errors in the following paragraph.

This is totally unacceptable. In addition, you have no experience as a teacher, you have no experience of the UK Curriculum apart from reading a GCSE syllabus, no experience of the UK education system.

No tienes ni la más mínima posibilidad de sacar un puesto de maestro o profesor aquí.

Why are you positive? ¿Por qué no me escuchas, por qué ne me haces caso?

No tienes ni la más mínima posibilidad de sacar un puesto de maestro o profesor aquí.

You will try it? You will try what? ¿Qué vas a hacer? Pero si te he dicho que no vale la pena, que nadie te va a dar ninguna plaza en un colegio aqui. ¿Por qué te empeñas?

Lo siento, hijo, pero esto es la pura verdad.

I am not going to say it again. Over And Out.

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations

6. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

Buiding the principal scene ... for me you'd pass, but you are up against a lot of grammarians as always.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

What is "Buiding the principal scene"?

You're missing the point entirely. He doesn't merely have to "pass" with his English (and bear in mind that there is not merely the necessity for him to make himself understood extremely well in a subject which some children find difficult enough at secondary level, but he has to be able to write fluently in a wide range of situations, not least of which is assessment for learning and reports), he has to be significantly better than all the British nationals with whom he's competing.

8. Lara mfl 05

I was wondering if this sentence had been put into a 'translation search engine'? It's an odd turn of phrase.

9. circuskevin

circuskevin Occasional commenter

A childrens entertainer too! Excellent!

Schools use children's entertainers did you know?

Just done a school in Wolverhampton today.

Three hundred pounds a day is the going rate.

Perhaps you should consider coming to this country as a children's entertainer?

You seem hard working and intelligent. I'm a bit daft myself.

Feel free to give us a ring. I've worked in more schools than anyone else on this forum.

Kevin

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Alternative career advice . . .

But not many, and not all through the year. I would not seriously suggest this as a career route to underpin emigration.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations

11. Middlemarch

Anyone who thinks going in to a succession of schools for a day counts as valid experience hasn't got anything worth hearing, Kevin.

I've run two large secondary schools and recruited more staff than I care to remember - and so has Theo. We do know what we're talking about.

12. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Possibly not the most sensitive - or, indeed, self-aware - post you could have made, Kevin, if you want those bookings to continue.

But there again - you're daft.

13. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

The search engine comes up with .....

Abstract

The history of popular literary education or ?English? is usually measured against the yard-stick of complete personal or social development provided by the concept of culture. This paper argues that the idea of complete development associated with culture is in fact the emblem of a limited ethical practice possessing no general pertinence with regards to the apparatus of popular education. The development of this apparatus as an independent moral technology is described, and the emergence of English is traced to transformations in this technology rather than to the sphere of culture and its Prophets.

Culture, education, and English: building ?the principal scene of the real life of children ?

Economy and Society Volume 16, Issue 4, 1987

www.tandfonline.com/.../03085148700000014

14. Middlemarch

No - no idea why you've posted that.

15. Dear armandine2,

thanks a lot for your support.

Dear Kevin,

thanks a lot for your advice. My idea is to gain experience in UK schools, and yes, why not offer my services also as a children entertainer. Modelling ballons is also one of my activities children most enjoy. Here in Andalusia, at schools, we use to work doing tale-telling sessions: mixing tales telling, songs and drama (we ask some children to be volunteers and play the main roles of the tale: it's very funny;-D).

Dear Theo, and Dear Middlemarch,

What about looking for a volunteer position in a School in UK?

and Theo,

let me please correct your spanish:

your sentence "No tienes ni la más mínima posibilidad de sacar un puesto de maestro o profesor aquí" sounds pretty strange...I recommend that you better use "conseguir" instead of "sacar". If you want to use "Sacar", then you should use its reflexive form, and better use "plaza" than "puesto": "No tienes ni la más mínima posibilidad de sacarte una plaza de profesor". Las plazas se sacan y los puestos se obtienen ;-D

Thanks a lot

16. ValentinoRossi

Susitorubio,

Twist your balloons and stay in Spain.

Kind regards,

VR

p.s. Or run away and join the circus.

17. ValentinoRossi,

there was no need to be so rude.

18. ValentinoRossi

Bless you!

See, susitorubio, that's what we're like in England. Best not come here as a teacher, eh?

19. 576

576 Established commenter

What about looking for a volunteer position in a School in UK?

How is that going to pay the bills? You need to be earning money. People keep trying to explain to you why that is not going to happen in the UK as a maths teacher but you're not listening.

20. Lara mfl 05

I'm sorry I cannot stay silent here.For a start it should be 'let me please correct your Spanish' if we're being pedantic and it seems you are.

Theo is a well-respected expert and authority, who really knows what she is talking about. You ask her advice and then presume to 'correct' her use of Spanish. She graciously wrote it in Spanish, I presume so there could be no room for misunderstanding about her advice. She regularly teaches as a volunteer in Spain (as she told you in her answer) and you presume to pick her up on what you consider a point of language!

I know normally we are a very supportive bunch of people here on this forum, but I would suggest this attitude is something you're going to have to address if you really do hope to ever work in a school. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh of me but I do feel you were rude to someone who has done everything to offer you her expert advice and been very courteous.