1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Sorry!!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by s4mm13, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Iv'e had a good look through past threads but can't seem to find the answer to this question:
    If submitting an application online (deadline is too close to print and post) do I make the body of the email my letter of application or do I attach a word file?
    Thank you

2. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Hi S4mm13,
    I just happend to look this up today too, and this is what Theo said[​IMG] -
    Posted by: TheoGriff 21/02/2010 at 16:18
    Reply Joined on Absolutely! No problem at all.
    However, please note the following tips, so that your application is highly professional:
    1) Don't have a stupid e-mail address such as Little-Miss-Pink@hotmail.com or BigBadBeerDrinker@yahoo.co.uk. It might have seemed funny in Year 9, but it is not professional now. Your e-mail for all job applications should be as near as possible to your actual name, by adding figures. Theodore.Griffiths642@googlemail.com
    2) The subject should read: Application for post of KS2 teacher
    3) Don't put any part of your application in the body of the e-mail. This should merely say: Please find attached the following files in respect of my application for the post of KS2 teacher at Grassy Meadows Primary School.
    4) The files that you attach should all have your name in their title. eg. T Griffiths KS2 teacher form. T Griffiths KS2 teacher letter. T Griffiths KS2 teacher summary.
    5) Ensure that the files that you send have your name <u>on every single page</u>. Best to put it in the bottom margin so it prints out automatically.
    Best wishes!
    Good luck[​IMG] x
    </td></tr></table>

3. Most applications have space for a personal statement; if this is what you mean then put it there.
    If you mean the shorter 'Dear X I would like to apply for...' then it depends what you mean by online - When I've done them on a website then there wasn't really an option so I've just left it out - and yes I've had interviews from these.
    When its an email affair I would copy and paste the application form and letter and put the whole thing in one doc.
    Sorry, that sounds a bit vague and confusing! But basically, no don't put it in an email, it looks messy, especially when printed out which they will almost certainly do.
    Hope that helps. Theo will probably put it much better!

4. Thank you all :eek:)
    They specifically asked for it to be on a seperate sheet so have done it in the form of an Exec Summary as they have also asked for a letter of application.
    You've both cleared it up nicely, Thanks