1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - sorry, another question!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Goaliesash, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Goaliesash

Goaliesash New commenter

Dear Theo,
    Apologies for yet another question, but back to my husband who is applying for bursar jobs. He's applied for 2 jobs and hasn't been shortlisted for either - both times there were over 60 applicants and he wasn't shortlisted because he has no experience working in schools. One head told him that he was in 10th position when they were shortlisting, but they only interviewed 7, all of whom had experience, so his application is clearly not bad but this no experience thing is a real sticking point.
    His current role is practically identical - he's doing what a bursar does but he's doing it for a company rather than a school, all of which he says on his application. He's also met with the bursar of my school and has been told that given what he's currently doing, he would have no problems at all moving into a bursar role. Should he draw attention to the obvious and say words to the effect of "look, it's apparent to all that I haven't done this before but I can still do an excellent job and if you just give me the opportunity I can convince you of that at interview" or just not mention it and hope a head is willing to take a chance?
    Many thanks in advance,
    Sasha

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not Theo I'm afraid
    but does your husband address this in his Executive Summary? This, to me, would seem to be the perfect opportunity to compare his present position with a school's requirements and show how he's qualified for the position. Then he needs to include somewhere else his experience of schools.
    Theo will be much better to advise. Wait for his reply.

3. Goaliesash

Goaliesash New commenter

Thanks for your reply Lara.
    Yes, he lists all the requirements of the job and matches it to something he currently does. Plus he includes all his experience working with my school's CCF.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This is what we call The Elephant.
    The big issue that people tend to skirt around.
    It needs to be grabbed with both hands, and addressed right up front. And I mean RIGHT UP FRONT!
    The beginning of the second or third paragraph of his application letter should make it very clear: My experience in schools has been as a parent and as a volunteer for CCF. This has enabled me to see very clearly that the skills and experience that I have gained in my current role are directly transferable to the role of a School Bursar. I carry out successfully, on a daily basis, every one of the tasks that would be undertaken by the |Bursar in your school.
    Best wishes!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. Goaliesash

Goaliesash New commenter

Thanks again, Theo.

That Elephant will be dealt with!