1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- so confused with application

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Nov 14, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Veni - this is really hard to read!
    I cannot easily see what is what you are saying, and what you are quoting from their documents. You are not making things easy for your readers by having a long post presented like this!
    This seems to me to be the executive summary. You give brief evidence under each of those headings - which presumably relate to the employee specification as they say, so you may have sub headings.
    This is your general letter of application.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

2. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

I hate forms!!
    Here's my opinion, but please bear in mind forms are not my strong point!
    In the letter of application, I would write about my most recent post & how anything I did in that post supports my application, a bit about how teaching & learning in RS could be made enjoyable, anything special (?) I could offer the department or school and information about myself that matches up to the personnel spec.
    On the application form, I would use the headings they have given me but go into more detail (e.g. all previous relevant posts, not just my most recent).
    I get the feeling that they are going to read your letter of application first and go on from there, so that's your 'shop window'.
    Hope that helps a bit.

3. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Apologies Theo, i couldn't change the format but wanted to include the exact words as they were confusing me. (Now i've confused you too!)
    I think it makes sense to give the infomation in the way you say, however what had me second guessing myself is where it stated that my supporting letter should 'take our Personnel Specification into account'.
    Also the headings in the application of Relevant Experience, Skills etc are completely different from their 'Personnel Specification' doc.
    I'll just complete it in the way that makes sense like you have suggested. I suppose i just needed some reassurance from an expert.
    Many thanks again!
    Veni

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Notrmally we look at the form first, to check all the admin requirements and see the qualifications etc.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars