1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo...So bad at bringing up the topic of money!

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Goaliesash, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I interviewed for a role at my school recently that involves quite a lot of extra work and responsibility. I haven't heard back yet, but just in case I get it I want to be prepared.
    Money wasn't mentioned at the interview, and if I am offered the role I'm not sure how to bring it up, because I am so bad about asking for money.
    2 scenarios:
    1) No mention of money is made with the offer. I'm not willing to do it for free so how do I say/approach that?
    2) Money is offered, but I don't think it's enough. How do I say/approach that?
    Many thanks.

2. Actually I suppose there are a couple of other scenarios:

3) The offer is made and the money is perfect! [​IMG]
    4) I'm not offered the job. [​IMG]

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Something for you consider, if money is not made available.
    Is it in your long-term interests to take on the role, even for a year? If it provides you with experience that you could not get otherwise it might be a valuable trade-off to apply for a job elsewhere later.

4. Well, it's an extra-curricular role, and one I've done before in a previous school, so I wouldn't be gaining anything new for my cv. Plus, having done it before on a similar scale, I know exactly how time-consuming it would be and I'm reluctant to do it without financial compensation.

Thanks for your reply though Karvol, I would definitely take on extra responsibility for free if it was within the department and would help my career, so I see where you're coming from.

5. Hi, have been in a similar position and for me it was the time available that clinched it. If you are not given enough time to be able to do the job well, then I don't perceive it to be "worth it" whatever the financial compensation, although also in my experience if there isn't any time, there probably isn't any money available either.
    fwiw I wouldn't leave it until they offer you the job.

Bouga

6. Thanks, I agree with the time thing, but at the moment my husband and I are very aware of our finances as he might have to take a big pay cut, so money is on my mind!
    If I'm not offered anything, I'd rather try and take on a bit more private tuition!

7. Oh yes, and I also meant to say *how* do I not leave it until they offer the job! How do I approach them?

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'd advise waiting until they offer you, rather than making an earlier approach.
    Once they have decided on you, they have invested in you, emotionally, and are more likely to agree. Although not necessarily so!
    But an approach beforehand is then on the discussion table when they are deciding who to appoint . . . And don't forget that Goalie is the one who has said that she wants £xxx to do the job - and she hasn't even been offered it yet! Very confident, isn't she? Bit of a cheek, though. And we could get TheoGriff to do it for less, without him feeling that he's pulled a fast one over us, like Goalie would.
    What you need to do is have facts on your side. Some examples to quote when their offer is not up to scratch. You need to know what time allowance and money offer is considered reasonable for this responsibility in other schools.
    You might be lucky and know someone in another indy school. Although of course you know what you were given in your last school, which is a help. Your best bet is of course the state sector where this is all very transparent. Look at adverts.
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

9. Thanks Theo. I hadn't wanted to bring it up before it was offered as, as you say, it would look a bit presumptuous!
    I guess I'll wait and see if it's offered, and if I don't think it's enough, I just have to bite the bullet and say so! No guts, no glory...!