1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - should I visit?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by weegoose, Mar 26, 2011.

1. weegoose

weegoose New commenter

Hello,
    I'm new to this interviewing/application malarky as I'm currently a probationer (Scottish NQT) and we get our first year guaranteed without interview etc. This year most local authorities have just been conducting internal interviews in order to create a "pool" of teachers for any jobs that come up within the next year. I've been to my interview for that and I feel that it went well but it's a bit rubbish because there is very little prospect of getting a job and no prospect at all of any being permanent.
    A full-time permanent position has come up at an independent school that I would love to work at so of course I am spending the next 2 weeks perfecting my application! My question is should I arrange a visit to the school? Would it increase my chances of being shortlisted for interview if they met me (and liked me!) in between receiving my application and organising interviews?
    It's all I can think about at the moment!

Thanks

2. weegoose

weegoose New commenter

Hello,
    I'm new to this interviewing/application malarky as I'm currently a probationer (Scottish NQT) and we get our first year guaranteed without interview etc. This year most local authorities have just been conducting internal interviews in order to create a "pool" of teachers for any jobs that come up within the next year. I've been to my interview for that and I feel that it went well but it's a bit rubbish because there is very little prospect of getting a job and no prospect at all of any being permanent.
    A full-time permanent position has come up at an independent school that I would love to work at so of course I am spending the next 2 weeks perfecting my application! My question is should I arrange a visit to the school? Would it increase my chances of being shortlisted for interview if they met me (and liked me!) in between receiving my application and organising interviews?
    It's all I can think about at the moment!

Thanks

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Theo is much better at Indies, but when I applied they didn't want anybody visiting, saying there would be opportunity should I be invited for interview.
    Since then I've gathered it is <u>not usua</u>l to visit an Independant school as it is in state schools.

4. weegoose

weegoose New commenter

Thanks for your advice :)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, the problem is that indies usually have so many apolicants that they could not cope with you all turning up beforehand! So normally a good visit is built into the interview day.
    But some do accept visits, so you could enquire if there will be an opportunity for candidates who are shortlisted to visit on interview day, or would it be better to visit beforehand. But they usually say if they expect visits.
    Do two things now. Open the clickables inside the Welcome thread here on JobSeekers to getadvice on applying in general. then go to the Independent Forum and open the clickables inside that Welcome thread, to get the background that you will need.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me in on Saturday 2 April.
    www.tesweekendworkshop19.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!