1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, should I take bullet points into my interviews?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by poor tom, Nov 18, 2011.

1. They say that when you go to the doctor it's a good idea to take notes in so you don't forget to mention one of the important symptoms... and interviews are even more nerve-wracking than seeing the doctor

What I mean is, for each school I go to there are particular points about myself I want to ensure don't get left out in the stress of the formal interview (when others are setting the agenda) - and sometimes something comes up in my mind during the day as I see the school/talk to people...
    I've tried in the past highlighting bits on my copy of the application form (and jotting notes down on the day), but things have got lost because there's so much on the form!

Would panel take it amiss if I had a little list (on the back page of my copy of the form that I take to the interview) and made notes as the interview progressed and at the 'Do you have any questions for us? point?

I think I've just answered myself, haven't I? And it would help me feel more in control of the whole interview if I knew I had that...

I missed out plugging my MFL theatre links yesterday, and kicked myself on the way home!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

A postcard-sized piece of card would be best - anything bigger would be unweildly.
    Not sure that's a good idea. It would look as though you weren't paying attention to them and the actual interview if you sit there scribbling.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/502637.aspx?PageIndex=1 ****************************************************************************
    Read this link poor tom - particularly the advice of Middlemarch (post number 3). It managed to get me a job!

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

*buffs fingernails on jumper smugly*

5. Thanks Kitkat & Middlemarch, I'm definitely trying that!
    "a good interview answer sounds for all the world like you're talking about it to a colleague." - that is exactly what I want to achieve, and do, often.. but not often enough: I know Middlemarch's preparation technique will help.
    THANKS!!