1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Should I put headings in my Supporting Statement?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by taraok, Feb 21, 2012.

1. taraok

taraok New commenter

In the Welcome thread you mention putting headings in a letter of application. Would you do this in a supporting statement? Or should I just use the headings as a guidance on how to structure it? I don't know where to start!
    xxx

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Theo is obviously THE person to advise, but I do use sub-headings in mine.

3. taraok

taraok New commenter

Thanks Lara. Do you use the headings suggested in the welcome thread?

4. Oh. I've been writing mine as continuous prose- I thought as an English teacher this would be better. Have I got that horribly wrong? :(

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, not horribly wrong and not even wrong at all. Everyone is different.
    I happen to like headings because of the reasons I give above. And I would expect it to all hang together as a piece of writing - the headings do not replace an adequate structure, just complement it.
    Do what you wish. Just make it good!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com