1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Should I give up?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by AlongForTheRide, May 22, 2012.

1. AlongForTheRide

AlongForTheRide New commenter

I am applying for Deputy Headships and out of 5 applications, I have been invited to 3 interviews. A fourth school did not have enough applications to hold interviews so will readvertise. Obviously there is nothing wrong with how I sound on paper, but I'm just not cutting it at the interview stage. I seem to be fine with the lesson, assembly, presentation part of things and have had good feedback for those. I apparently did ok with the tasks today as well. Where I seem to fall down is in the formal interview. I am beginning to wonder if I just don't have enough experience of leadership and if I should give up for now. My husband thinks I just need to practise my answers so 'leadership' shines through first. Since I am not acting Deputy or an Assistant Head it will be difficult to gain more experience than I already have in this area. I do contribute to the school improvement plan, SEF, strategic planning and priorities to address but this is not what immediately springs to mind when asked a question.
    I have one more opportunity for September as one school had a closing date of today. I think I am feeling a bit low now and doubting that I have the skills to be a Deputy after all. I haven't lied on my application but my brain goes to mush in interviews. I have read all the clickables and tried a few of the techniques suggested. It's very embarrassing as the person I am in interviews is not one any of my colleagues would recognise.
    I am seriously considering attending one of your workshops!
    Do you think it shows I am not ready to be a Deputy if I still cannot secure a position after 3 interviews?

2. AlongForTheRide

AlongForTheRide New commenter

I am applying for Deputy Headships and out of 5 applications, I have been invited to 3 interviews. A fourth school did not have enough applications to hold interviews so will readvertise. Obviously there is nothing wrong with how I sound on paper, but I'm just not cutting it at the interview stage. I seem to be fine with the lesson, assembly, presentation part of things and have had good feedback for those. I apparently did ok with the tasks today as well. Where I seem to fall down is in the formal interview. I am beginning to wonder if I just don't have enough experience of leadership and if I should give up for now. My husband thinks I just need to practise my answers so 'leadership' shines through first. Since I am not acting Deputy or an Assistant Head it will be difficult to gain more experience than I already have in this area. I do contribute to the school improvement plan, SEF, strategic planning and priorities to address but this is not what immediately springs to mind when asked a question.
    I have one more opportunity for September as one school had a closing date of today. I think I am feeling a bit low now and doubting that I have the skills to be a Deputy after all. I haven't lied on my application but my brain goes to mush in interviews. I have read all the clickables and tried a few of the techniques suggested. It's very embarrassing as the person I am in interviews is not one any of my colleagues would recognise.
    I am seriously considering attending one of your workshops!
    Do you think it shows I am not ready to be a Deputy if I still cannot secure a position after 3 interviews?

3. You should attend the workshop it might help....

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Goodness me! Goodness gracious me!
    You think 3 interviews is a lot!
    No, there are many examples of people who have achieved success after a far greater number of that - people who have turned out to be excellent. So don't give in yet!
    Probably my view too.
    Two possibilities here - at the moment.
    E-mail the lovely Julia, the TES Careers Manager on advice@tes.co.uk and ask if there's any chance of interview coaching one-to-one this Saturday. I am not available, but one of my colleagues might be. That would gety ou all set up if this latest job comes through.
    And secondly, if not lucky this round, come along to one of the SLT seminars in the autumn.
    Applying for a Leadership post?
    Now for some general interview advice:
    Do go to the Welcome thread and read the general advice in the Interview clickables.
    And then read this: * * * * * Teaching a lesson at interview * * * * * It's up near the top of the Forum
    Do read this thread too :
    Safeguarding and Child Protection - the questions, NOT the answers. (Bump it when you've finished reading it)
    Well done again on getting your interview - we look forward to you starting a brand new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    Best wishes